cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Copyright Theft & Free-up Bandwidth

N/A

Stop Copyright Theft & Free-up Bandwidth

IMHO it's the TeraBytes of copyrighted digital media being copied between machines on the various P2P networks that is sapping ADSL and internet bandwidth in general.
The ADSL architecture is based on the assumption that more data will be downloaded than uploaded & that data will be delivered in bursts in response to HTTP requests, or steadily streamed at a fairly low rate as is the case when playing online games or streaming media. P2P network clients do not behave in this way and max-out both upstream and downstream paths for long periods of time - specially when people are copying films. I bet if more was done to combat this illegal activity, the whole Internet would speed up remarkably.
Just a thought....
11 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Stop Copyright Theft & Free-up Bandwidth

Its an interesting point you have there, this might be of interest..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/22/27092.html

(if you dont want to read it, it basically says that up to 60 per cent of the total traffic on any service provider network is created by P2P systems)

Im don’t really want to go anywhere near all the arguments around this issue, but suffice to say it needs dealing with and IMO the recording industry needs to take a step towards encouraging users to buy legal mp3’s etc by reducing prices for online purchases of legal music and stop trying to force us to comply with the copyright rules through things like DRM which will get circumvented and push the whole deal further underground anyway.

Just my 2 cents
Community Veteran

Hi all

I think you will find that Plusnet have gone some way towards controlling this bandwidth hogging by the use of traffic controlls.
If you recall back in the days when the first big pipe was reaching saturation they brought this in.
AFAK this is still in place and if any of the pipes start to overload then priority is given to surfing activity and Peer to Peer is throttled.
--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

Well, anybody would think I'd written the article myself! Smiley
Seriously though, it's pretty obvious, right now KaZaA is reporting 3,300,684 users online, sharing 579,712,203 files - a total of 4,166,976 GBytes. That's bound to have an impact on bandwidth. Plus there's Gnutella and Napigator too.....

> Its an interesting point you have there, this might be of interest..
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/22/27092.html
>
> (if you dont want to read it, it basically says that up to 60 per cent of the total traffic on any service provider network is created by P2P systems)
>
> Im don’t really want to go anywhere near all the arguments around this issue, but suffice to say it needs dealing with and IMO the recording industry needs to take a step towards encouraging users to buy legal mp3’s etc by reducing prices for online purchases of legal music and stop trying to force us to comply with the copyright rules through things like DRM which will get circumvented and push the whole deal further underground anyway.
>
> Just my 2 cents
>

elton
Grafter

> Well, anybody would think I'd written the article myself! Smiley
> Seriously though, it's pretty obvious, right now KaZaA is reporting 3,300,684 users online, sharing 579,712,203 files - a total of 4,166,976 GBytes. That's bound to have an impact on bandwidth. Plus there's Gnutella and Napigator too.....
>
>
The number of on line users reported by Kazaa, and the number and size of the files they are sharing says absolutely nothing about the number of files currently being transmitted between Kazaa users. You can't estimate bandwidth usage from the information you have. All you can tell is what is being uploaded and download to your own connection.
Why is is it "bound to have an impact on bandwidth"? Is there a problem with bandwidth in general on the internet? Since when?

--
Skonko!
N/A

N/A

From previous posts I belive that games get top priority and the p2p networks the lowest
elton
Grafter

> From previous posts I belive that games get top priority and the p2p networks the lowest

If that's true, then it's a completely different thing to p2p traffic being "throttled".

In the five months I've had PlusNet ADSL, I've never had an issue with bandwidth.

--
Skonko!
N/A

With regard to the question of copyright theft does anyone think the the record and film industry need to re-evaluate their position and make the material more available at reasonable prices I for one would welcome buying cd's and DVD at cheaper prices.

The industry as a whole needs to change no longer do people want to be held to ransome by over inflated prices, artists and the companies are payed outrageous sums of money.

I say cut the wage bills and pass the savings on to the punter.

P2P networks are the proof that media has to be delivered in a different way to the end user.

You will never stop theft but you can reduce it give the punter the incentive to buy and they will

Jim

N/A

> > From previous posts I belive that games get top priority and the p2p networks the lowest
>
>
> If that's true, then it's a completely different thing to p2p traffic being "throttled".
>
> In the five months I've had PlusNet ADSL, I've never had an issue with bandwidth.
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Skonko!
>
I've got to say that in the year that I've had ADSL, I have never had a Bandwidth problem. I'd go to say that for the last week or so, my d/l speed is averaged at 56.6 and upload @ 13.9.
I use p-2-p programs, but Kazaa is dire, it's both memory hungry and it max's out your upload speed. So I tried Kazaa lite wich is fine, no upload problems and seems not to mess with my pc.
But the donkey seems to be wicked/the best out there.

1 question) Apart from games what other reason would you want 512k, other that you use p-2-p?

shellsong
Grafter

In my opinion the RIAA, Holywood and their ilk spend too much time playing the victim. The UK consumer is getting a very bad deal. I can buy Star Wars Episode II on DVD* for £12.41 Including P&P from Australia. The RRP here is £24.99 so it's likely to be sold at around £18.

* Not that I would, it's just the most dramatic example I could find. (http://www.devoted.com.au)
N/A

With regard to Shonko's question

I use 512k not just for p2p and games but work being a support engineer I can download software updates and brouse much faster to support forums spending less time viewing useless threads and find the stuff I need its also handy for sharing across my home network far better than 56k when the kids and the wife are all chatting on msn etc and downloading screeds of useless jokes and other junk to screwup their PC.

Jim