cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stolen login details

N/A

Stolen login details

For the last 2 days i have not been able to use my broadband , modem says connected , pc says connected even plusnet tell me in connected but i cant accses any web pages, and even the free dial up number i was given by plusnet yeilded same results , msn , etc.
On the last call to plusnet faults i was told that someone could be using my login detials thus denying me any data transfer.

This would seem feasible as When i ping my ip and tracert it, it shows as connected yet my modem is no longer plugged into my pc , the power or the telephone line, i am currently using virgin payg dialup.
Now if this was the case surely it would be simple to kill the current connection on my account as i have since changed the pass so whoever it was would not be able to log back on.
You would think thats the best opotion but neither the telephone staff or the people who read the tickets have done this.
Its getting to the point where i might as well cut my losses and move to another isp

[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin): Case dropped on all CAPS title.]
7 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Stolen login details

Have you thought about changing your password? I reckon if you did that, I'd be able to run an intrusive test on your line which would sever the connection, thus preventing the other connection from logging back on to your account and allowing you to log on solely.

Let me know if/when you want to do that and I'll do the bits from this end.
Community Veteran

Stolen login details

Hi tobycoaster,

What makes you believe that your details have been half inched. I thought that you could only login to PN bb using the set username and password for that one bb line only. I thought that other pn users or isp users login details would be rejected as the line is connected to pn or tiscalli etc at the exchange end of things and the exchange would only accept predefined detals from each bb line.

Surely it's not possible for me to go to my parents pn line and logon the bb network, not just the portal using MY details.

regards,

A
hitachi
Grafter

Stolen login details

As long as the last bit of the login is the same e.g. @plusdl.net, then yes you can.
Community Veteran

Stolen login details

Yes I could login from here ( My own line ) using the username and password of any of my clientson Plusnet.
In fact I sometimes do if if they contact me and say they are having internet problems. But bear in mind that I am still connected by my router using my own username and password to the Plusnet Server. It's just that I am able to log on to the portal as another user and check their account details etc.
Community Veteran

Stolen login details

As long as the last bit of the login is the same e.g. @plusdl.net, then yes you can.

I can confirm this as well as long as the "realm" is correct then you can login from any PlusNet ADSL enabled line using your account details.

When BTw set up ADSL service each line is tied into a "reaml" ie @plusdsl.net not to an individual account.

I have used this to troubleshoot a speed issue with my farther's account. Slow throughput from his line, but fine from mine, indicating PlusNet was not throttling the account.

Chilly
Community Veteran

Stolen login details

HI All,

cheers for the insight I didn't know that was possible. Now I'll be ale to help solve problems on my parents accounts if they arise.

A
James
Grafter

Stolen login details

Normally the giveaway is if you're able to connect to the internet but you can't get any data transfer owing to the other connection being present.