cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still having massive grief with SMTP mail and SBS

N/A

Still having massive grief with SMTP mail and SBS

Hi guys,

Posted a message some weeks ago regarding my e-mail being sent down the wire via smtp on my SBS server. Ive set up the domain mail forwarding correctly and the exchange server but im still getting no mail. When i check the web mail for my account its still sitting there. Im not sure if its something im doing wrong or not. I have a block of four IP addresses and ive set the mail up to forward to one of these but with no luck.

Please help!
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Still having massive grief with SMTP mail and SBS

You need to do the following.

Go into My Email Settings, Configure mailboxes and click the SMTP button. This will change your mail to smtp.

Go into my domains and set each domain to SMTP mail delivery.

Then wait for our 4am DNS refresh and you should start to receive mail via SMTP.

Kind regards

Kevin

--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support ................. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

Thx Kevin but i have already done all that you have sugested with no luck. It must be something im doing within SBS? Its really begining to get on my wick and im in desperate need of some help.

beskar
Grafter

Alex - I'm just about to do this also (once I get my s*dding router sorted out)- keep us informed if you succeed!!!
beskar
Grafter

Alex, second thoughts - can you give some info about your connection set up (i.e. is it 2nd NIC to Router?) as Port Forwarding may be involved.

N/A

Hi,

My router is a supplied BT one that i had to have re configured for port forwarding on port 25. Unfortunatly Plus told me nothing about this and the BT routers have no user intervension so bt had to do it and they charged me for the privalidge.....not happy about that.
Internet access is no problem...speedy speedy on all machines involved (got the router hooked to a hub so all machines can access it) so the net is no grief, just mail. Ive done everything plus net have suggested (set up smtp mail on the portal and got my domain to forward to the ip address) but still no mail being sent to my server. Kinna wished i had got my own DSL router to be honest cos im concerned its something to do with that!

beskar
Grafter

I previously used Zen + BT Install (NoNAT) - hate to say it, but it all worked first time which is why I am slightly panicking now (Zen support were no use, hence switch to PlusNet)

We did not need to make any alterations to the BT Router (basic black box affair - someone has said that it doesn't really do any routing at all, just push out the info to all 4 ports)

I'm probably a few steps behind you, so take with pinch of salt - but have you tried Telnet-ing in to see if the ports are working ok?

Am now using PlusNet NoNAT, with Draytek Vigor 2200USB/Fujitsu Modem combo. Trying to put SBS2000 in DMZ, but hard going (like most routers, advanced instructions are badly translated from the Taiwanese.... Had stand alone PCs surfing via NAT, but SBS2000 via ISA and DMZ just won't go (never mind the SMTP side!!! :O(

Are you using 2nd NIC routine? What net settings did you use if so?

(If I get anything working, I am going to write a 'How To...' and put it on the SBS Ng - a similar item on setting up Demon for DialUp saved my life a couple of years ago!)

p.s. on dial-up PlusNet mention about need for TURN, but don't think this is needed on full-time conn.
N/A

Hey IC,

Im not currently using a second NIC. Ive got my router directly connected to the network (plugged into a hub). Ive then set it up as a gateway so all the other machines can see it. It was given its own ip address and each machine on the network (currently about 20) has the gateway ip put in under default gateway. This is not a problem as all machines currently have access to the internet via the gateway method. Now mail....hum thats a different ball park all together.
I also have 4 ip addresses and much the same as you, i am unsure about how these get used. Plus have told me that one is used for mail....hum ok....but which one and how do i get my smtp mail. They also talk about smtp trigger to get your mail to send, i don`t think you use this at all for a broadband conn. Has anybody written a guide on how the hell to set this up in sbs. Im so stumped. People have spoken to me about pop3 connectors. Im currently using an old version of sbs (4.0 i think) would there be an advantage to upgrading to sbs 2000? for what i want to do.
Its proberly easier if you mail me direct as opposed to keep on writting in the forum. Mail me on alex@claygate.co.uk and maybe we can work this problem out together.

beskar
Grafter

Will mail you directly for ease, and post conclusion here late for public consumption - in the mean time:

- stick with SMTP - I've always used it ok via dial-up, and it is the 'pro' way, giving full Exchange server mail facilities (e.g. proper cc'ing etc.)

- have you double checked your settings on here - mine were wiped when went ADSL

- the reason for the 2nd NIC is that it kind of puts the ISA serve (or Proxy Server if you use 4.5 SBS) in between you and the outside world. So you have a soft firewall, and NAT on the server (only the SBS server then needs to be connected to ADSL).

An extra layer of complexity, I guess, but I suspect a wee bit safer.

Shall mail you direct

N/A

Alex,

wouldn't your mail IP (which ever one you've assigned to your mx record), be the same IP your SBS server is using. If not your mail will go to whichever pc has that address.

Scott