cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still Confused

N/A

Still Confused

Hi, i've been with Plusnet for about 2 years now. I haven't had any problems at all with my internet connection, other than having to reinstall the drivers for my BT Voyager 105 USB modem every time it glitches. (Usually once a month or so, but everyone gets that, right?) Otherwise, i've had a great service from Plusnet. Cheesy

Anyways, I created a thread several months ago asking about 8 meg broadband. Basically, I was told that I just had to be patient and wait for the email from Plusnet saying that they were upgrading me.

Seven months have gone by...and no email. I still have a 2Mb connection, and I'd just like to find out whether i'm being impatient again or whether i've been forgotten about.

I've been reading the various issues of Plus as I get them, and they have mentioned about signing up to 8 meg broadband. I'm confused by this because I thought that everyone was eventually going to be upgraded over the next few months. (At the time) Thats the impression that i've been given anyway.

I know that BT had problems with the mass upgrade tool thingy blah blah blah, but those problems have been sorted out now.

I've checked out the form to sign up to 8 meg broadband, but I haven't signed up to it because the constant barrage of complaints in these forums worry me. I accept that once upgraded, my connection will be less stable and therefore the speeds will vary much more, especially at peak times, but still...it means more speed overall. So why are people complaining? I don't want a service that potentially won't work.

I've also checked out the 8meg Exchange Enablement Tool Thingy and it says that I am able to recieve 8 meg broadband - but that is obviously wrong because my modem tells me that the speed is 2 meg and my downloads certainly don't go above the 230kb/s that i've always maxed at.

I've also checked out the SNR ratios and all that stuff, and I *should* be able to get the max speed from my connection.

Posted by me in my other thread
Attenuation
Local: 31dB
Remote: 21dB

SNR Margin
Local: 31.5dB
Remote: 13.5dB

I just want to know if I have been forgotten, if I need to buy a new modem (And if so, which one?) or if there is some sort of fault somewhere.

If it helps, I have a Broadband Premier account and pay £21.99 a month, and am still using the BT Voyager 105 USB modem that I paid £100 for when I signed up to Plusnet.

Thanks for your help, whoever reads this. Smiley
3 REPLIES
N/A

Still Confused

it means your exchange got updated to support maxDSL, your line is now syncing at the best speed it can, about 2mbit which is average for most people, if you want better speeds, move closer to your exchange Smiley as its length of line / noise on line dependent
shellsong
Grafter

Still Confused

I see I responded to you back in May-- it certainly looks as though you're among the forgotten ones. Did you ever try opting for MaxDSL via the tool that has been available in the past? Anyway maybe you should ticket Customer Support or try catching the eye of someone like James Bailey on the forum

Long live the Mattress of Evil!
N/A

Still Confused

No, I didn't opt in for DSLMax via the opt in form - that's actually what I meant in my post above. Sorry I didn't make it clearer. Shockedops:

Posted by me
I've checked out the form to sign up to 8 meg broadband, but I haven't signed up to it because the constant barrage of complaints in these forums worry me. I accept that once upgraded, my connection will be less stable and therefore the speeds will vary much more, especially at peak times, but still...it means more speed overall. So why are people complaining? I don't want a service that potentially won't work.

Additionally, like I said, I was under the impression that everyone was going to be upgraded, so I don't understand WHY you need to opt in. I also don't want to risk ending up with a potentially unusable connection.

What i'd really like is someone to say "You WILL get 8 meg broadband that works perfectly and all you have to do is fill in the opt-in form" - but I understand that everyone is under different situations so this is impossible. Sad :lol:

If you guys think I have been left out, then maybe I will raise a ticket. I don't want to do that coz Plusnet have had a perfect track record with me so far though...

Anyways, thanks for the help guys. Cheesy