cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static or Dynamic????????

N/A

Static or Dynamic????????

Just signed up for the home 512k package, don't understand why there is a static ip option on my portal that dosen't allow me to configure it to a dynamic or static ip setup??!! Is there any way I can make my ip dynamic?? I have a firewall and av software but would prefer the peace of mind of a dynamic ip address which could be less vulnerable than a static ip address.

Thanks
5 REPLIES
rikmoncur
Grafter

RE: Static or Dynamic????????

To quote an earlier posting:
it appears that with ADSL you have to have a static IP... so the option to change it doesn't appear in control panel.
N/A

> To quote an earlier posting:
> it appears that with ADSL you have to have a static IP... so the option to change it doesn't appear in control panel.

Certain ISPs do offer dynamic ip assignment-Check out www.adslguide.org.uk under the isp details. I thought with the option on the portal, there may have been scope to switch between the 2.
N/A

No mate you can't change to dynamic.
ADSL here is static IP's and you get your own
host name too, i quite like it to be honest.
handy when i'm running my APACHE webserver or aplications such as encoders.

http://your-ip-number or http://your-plusnet-name.com connects others to your network.

Of course you want dynamic because of hackers,
understand, my webserver logs have shown up many attempts at script kiddies trying to run stuff,
as long as you have a good firewall, you will be ok, and don't leave your pc connected all night or when you don't need it to be. i'm always here when i uses it, so if anyone tries stuff i will catch them.

It would be good i suppose if PlusNet did give you the option for dynamic like they did on the dialup accounts, i don't know if it's a case of "Big Brother is watching you" or just as above, it is handier for networking programs.
--
Jason
=====
N/A

> No mate you can't change to dynamic.
> ADSL here is static IP's and you get your own
> host name too, i quite like it to be honest.
> handy when i'm running my APACHE webserver or aplications such as encoders.
>
Bloody hell, now they tell me!

Sorry, been having real problems logging on.
N/A

Me too. Think this should be part of the setup procedure really. They also told me my username was @plusdsl.net and it was actually @plus.net - mind you, it arrived today and I'm on now!!

All in all, 11 days from order to Ian! Not bad.

> > No mate you can't change to dynamic.
> > ADSL here is static IP's and you get your own
> > host name too, i quite like it to be honest.
> > handy when i'm running my APACHE webserver or aplications such as encoders.
> >
> Bloody hell, now they tell me!
>
> Sorry, been having real problems logging on.

--