cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static V's Dynamic IP

N/A

Static V's Dynamic IP

I've just been told by a "Dear Customer" reply to my ticket on this subject. (Thanks again PlusNet support for being personable once again. You can quite clearly see my name so why not use itHuh!!)

Anyway, back to subject Smiley I was under the impression residential accounts had a dynamic IP, but no, it's static and can't be changed. Correction, it can be changed but not at each dialup with ADSL.
Isn't this a bad idea? Doesn't it say to hackers that all PlusNet's residential accounts running between ***.**.***.** and ***.**.***.** (easy to find the range) have fixed IP's and so can spend more time trying to find an open port in that IP range. Those that connect all day gives the hackers a full day to work away on your PC.
Not a smart move.
Yes those running firewalls like ZoneAlarm and Black Ice are pretty good, but give a hacker a full day and there are many ways to get through if the desire is strong enough.

As PlusNet is my first ADSL ISP I don't know if other ADSL ISP's provide dynamic or static IP's. Can anyone tell me?

Many thanks all
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Static V's Dynamic IP

> I've just been told by a "Dear Customer" reply to my ticket on this subject. (Thanks again PlusNet support for being personable once again. You can quite clearly see my name so why not use itHuh!!)
>
> Anyway, back to subject Smiley I was under the impression residential accounts had a dynamic IP, but no, it's static and can't be changed. Correction, it can be changed but not at each dialup with ADSL.
> Isn't this a bad idea? Doesn't it say to hackers that all PlusNet's residential accounts running between ***.**.***.** and ***.**.***.** (easy to find the range) have fixed IP's and so can spend more time trying to find an open port in that IP range. Those that connect all day gives the hackers a full day to work away on your PC.
> Not a smart move.
> Yes those running firewalls like ZoneAlarm and Black Ice are pretty good, but give a hacker a full day and there are many ways to get through if the desire is strong enough.
>
> As PlusNet is my first ADSL ISP I don't know if other ADSL ISP's provide dynamic or static IP's. Can anyone tell me?
>
> Many thanks all

It true that if the Hacker is dedicated enough he will get through...this is also true for Dynamic Ip address. Its the old saying where there is a will there is a way.

Most ISP differ, some give you dynamic ip and others static ones. So if you are worried and want a dynamic one each time you log on, there are ISPs who provide these. But then their service might not be the same.

N/A

>
> Most ISP differ, some give you dynamic ip and others static ones. So if you are worried and want a dynamic one each time you log on, there are ISPs who provide these. But then their service might not be the same.
>
>

yeh you might be able to get a decent connection!
jlpappin
Grafter

Static IP's are better. Anyone with half a brain who reads BugTraq and visits the box.sk sites will learn enough to be able to pass hose bog standard firewalls such as ZoneAlarm etc. I wouldn't be pranoid about hackers as real hackers are the good guys. These lame ass script kiddies at the dangerous ones. Thing is they are dangerous once you have downloaded their little trojan. A decent antivirus software coupled with tiny personal firewall (freeware) will sort you out. Might want to use a proxy if you are that worried about disclosing your IP address.
N/A

Y would a hacker want a ADSL connection anyway, there r plenty of ppl around with 1mb cable connections that are 1mb up and down, and more people and business with T1 lines + which to a dedicated hacker would be much more wert it,
jlpappin
Grafter

A hacker might want the data. Therefore the connection speed is irrelevant. If he wanted to carry out a DDOS on someone, then he might go for the 1MBPS but then he might also go for the 100MBPS pipes instead. Also a true hacker does not DDOS. That is the actions of some script kiddie lamer.