cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP's - Will this work

N/A

I have just requested a 4 block of IP's and was wondering if this would work:

I want to assign each of my two pc's with a static ip, each one has a NIC.

I want to connect my adsl modem (D-Link DSL 300G+) to a switch or a hub and then each of my pc's to the switch/hub and assign them with the two external IP's I get from plusnet.

has anyone tried this Huh Does anyone know if this will work ??

All feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Moderators note (John) Title converted to lower case. Please avoid using all capitals
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Not with a block of 4 IP addresses. Out of the 4 IPs 2 are unusable as they are used for Network and broadcast, 1 is used for the router leaving only one IP address free. You would be better to use a NAT setup.

Chris
N/A

If I dont have a router, just a modem.

Am I right in saying that if I had just a modem (no seperate switch/hub/router) the pc connected to that modem will have the external ip (212.*.*.*) ?Huh
N/A

Yes.
N/A

In that case, if I was to plug a switch/hub into my modem instead of my pcs NIC why will I not be able to pick up either one of the two available IP's. Huh
N/A

I thought you said you had a modem!

In my book, if the device has an Ethernet interface on one end and an ADSL interface on the other, then, by definition, it's a router and not simply a modem. The fact that it has just one RJ-45 socket is neither here nor there. That simply means it doesn't have a switch or a hub built into it -- it's not the switch or hub that has the IP address.

Since your device has an Ethernet interface to which an IP address can be assigned, it has the IP address. A computer it's connected to (either directly or through a hub or switch [no IP address there, as mentioned above]) has another IP address. That's taken your two available IP addresses in a 4-IP block.

Sorry about the confusion!
N/A

Point taken, Thanks taskforce9.

Do you know of any products on the market that will let me do what I want ??
(be able to pick up my static IP's just by plugging my boxes into a rj45 port)
So that they are totall open to the world.

Thanks