cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP Security question

N/A

HI,
I've read a few things about safety issues with Static IP.
I'm using a router (Netgear DM602) which is being used as a DHCP server and so assigns my PC's IP address.

Someone told me that with this set-up my PC is safe from attacks, and I wouldn't need any firewall software etc.

Anyone know if this is true?
4 REPLIES
N/A

you're safe from incoming attacks but would still need a software firewall for outgoing problems. i.e. worms etc
N/A

its always good to have a second line of defence , i have got zone alarm (free version) i would recoment it.
N/A

Sorry Parapa not sure what you mean - can you explain?

I'll try Zone alarm - thanks Vickers.
Community Veteran

Some routers/modems only support NAT (Network Address Translation) which is a basic firewall system. This blocks all incoming connection attempts (from internet to your PC) and only allows outgoing connections to be made (i.e. from your PC to the internet). It is this 2nd operation (outgoing connections) that NAT does not block so if you were infected with a virus or worm, they attempt to connect to other PCs and with NAT this would not be blocked.

With ZoneAlarm running on your PC, it will block any outgoing connections from software you have not permitted so any virus attempting to connect to other PCs will be blocked and logged.

Most of the good quality (i.e more expensive routers) have their own full firewall (often refered to as an SPI (Stateful packet inspection) firewall). This can block connection attempts in both directions (incoming and outgoing) so in theory you don't need a software firewall running on your PC, but in practice I would always recomend you do - especially since many are free and ZA does the job very well.

Cheers

Peter Cool