cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP Address and Home Network

N/A

Static IP Address and Home Network

I would like to setup my home network so that the static ip address that has been assigned to me by PlusNet will reach my home PC so that I can use it to access files when I am travelling. However, currently my static IP address is assigned to my DSL Modem/Router. ALso, all of the nodes in my home communicate via an 802.11b router. More specifically, my DSL phone line plugs into my DSL Modem/Router and then that connects to my LinkSys 802.11 router. Everything on the network, including my 802.11 router, uses DHCP through the 802.11 router. Is there a way I can access PCs on my network via a static IP when travelling and thus not physically on my home network?

Thanks.
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Static IP Address and Home Network

You connect to the routers ip and tell the router to port forward the ports you need to the pcs ip that you need to connect to.
If you connect on diffrent ports you can then connect to a few pc's. You could ftp into one,web browse another and use pc anywhere on another. If your runing xp remote assistance works great.

> I would like to setup my home network so that the static ip address that has been assigned to me by PlusNet will reach my home PC so that I can use it to access files when I am travelling. However, currently my static IP address is assigned to my DSL Modem/Router. ALso, all of the nodes in my home communicate via an 802.11b router. More specifically, my DSL phone line plugs into my DSL Modem/Router and then that connects to my LinkSys 802.11 router. Everything on the network, including my 802.11 router, uses DHCP through the 802.11 router. Is there a way I can access PCs on my network via a static IP when travelling and thus not physically on my home network?
>
> Thanks.

N/A

RE: Static IP Address and Home Network

This has already been partially answered.

What I would do is set up a VNC server on every PC that you wish to access. Then set up port forwarding on your firewall so that 5500 is P/F to your first machine, 5501 is P/F to you second, 5502 to your third and so on.

Then, you attach your VNC client to you.plus.com:0, or you.plus.com:1 or you.plus.com:2 to select the individual machines behind the firewall. The choice of "display" number will choose ports 5500, 5501, 5502 and so on, causing your firewall to forward the request onto the specific machines.

HTH