Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP Address, Can it be changed?

karmi
Grafter

Hello,

Just a quick question about the static ip, is it possible to change it? Ive never had a static IP before and would like to change it every so often because I keep firewalls off for various reasons and it really makes me very vulnerable- is there no way to get a Dynamic IP with Premier 2mb or at least change it every so often?

Any feedback would be appreciated Tongue
11 REPLIES
craigbrass
Grafter

I think it is possible to have it changed now by requesting it through the tickets system.

There is currently no way to get a dynamic IP on premier. It's somthing I have requested many times and I am going to revive my old topic inside suggestions to see if I can get interest in this and get them to implement it.
Community Veteran

You can ask support to change your Static IP address, but they require a valid reason, so they would not change it “every so often because”.

I have to ask, what various reasons do you have for not using a firewall?

Chilly
karmi
Grafter

Ive asked customer support if they can, but im in no hurry!

Basically, Firewalls have always presented problems for me and I've had problems with hosting servers/gaming/p2p whilst using firewalls amongst others and have never been "attacked" before so dont see the purpose in having a firewall, although I think the voyager 2100 wireless router comes with one I dont have one and im a DMZ host or whatever it is so yeah Shockedops:

I have always thought firewalls were a slight profit making scheme, especially initially in the early days when firewalls were first introduced at homes, almost a scare technique into getting people to pay for protection and I've never had a problem and as they always say- If its not broken, dont fix it!
N/A

well this is one user that should not be online, jebus! firewalls are ESENTIAL. They stop such lovly things as worms and auto hackers (scripts using latest 0day exploits) hacking into your machine and setting it up as a pubstro (warez) or a zombie for a DDoS bot network,, the UK has the largest amount of zombies percentage wise for its computers in the world (or at least in the EU) and it is due soley to the fact that people like you exist. For the sake of reading a "Help" or "FAQ" and spending ooooo 5 mins setting one up (oh and some are FREE by the way.. so really where is the profit?) bad internet traffic would be cut down greatly. MS saw this, introduced the XP firewall (even though its a bit naff) but it still works on blocking incoming connections (ergo stops autohackers) but wont stop outgoing // reverse connect trojans / virii / worms. This is where you need a fully operational firewall such as the FREE zonelabs Zonealarm, or Sygate Firewall. Both great products, both free (upgradable to "pro" versions for a small cost). They will stop all maliciouse traffic (well most) and at least allow you to see if you are getting attacked or not. To be honnest I dont want another lamer on Pn packeting all the other customers cos he has a stupid worm he is to ignorant to protect himself from.

Just because you come accross as a lazy ass here are two links for you:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?lid=nav_za

and

http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

If you have issues setting them up, ASK! dont just be an idiot and run without one
craigbrass
Grafter

The zone alarm one is recomended by alot of mags these days so would prolly be best to get that one. Plus the fact its free.
N/A

I don't use a software firewall, when infact I should.

I am currently reliant on the XP firewall, which is naff and my cheap and chearful router included one.

If I could afford a dedicated network appliance, I would most certainly get one of those over a software based one.

I monitor most traffic manualy, due to the research I do anyhow (borning self-learning stuff), so would notie viral activity.

But sadly, that is stull no excuse for me not having one.
craigbrass
Grafter

I didn't have one up until october last year. Then I decided to actually pay for a licence of the McAfee Suite. Haven't had to wipe my machine and reinstall windows which is cool. Takes a bit longer to boot up but other than that it was the best thing I ever did.
N/A

acarr shame on you!
HellFire
Grafter

Yes to be able to change your IP would be brilliant, a good reason would be when a game server bans your IP for cheating :lol:
hitachi
Grafter

Yeh , then the next poor soul to get your IP finds himself banned for no reason.
HellFire
Grafter

Not really PN could have a IP banned list so people who don’t play games can have them. SORTED! :mrgreen: