cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starter Pack Router - Port Forwarding

N/A

Starter Pack Router - Port Forwarding

Hi -

Anyone had any success with Port Forwarding on the Starter Pack Router?

I'm trying to forward ssh connections (Port 22) to my server, so I go into the Router Set up and do

TCP : ssh : 22 ~ 22 : 192.168.8.2

And save. and start up sshd to recieve connections.

Then I can cheerfully do

ssh localhost or ssh 192.168.8.2 and connect,

but if I do

ssh 212.<Fixed IP address>

It bombs and says it could not get through on port 22.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much
AndrewC.
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Starter Pack Router - Port Forwarding

Hmm.. Dunno about that. Managed to get things working OK here with the router. Port 80, 21 , 8000 etc are working OK this end doing what you were doing.

If the problems persist, it might be worth investing in an old 486 and 2 network cards and using a firewall/DHCP/proxy like IPCOP (which is free, easy and Linux based) to do your port forwarding.

For that, remove all settings from the router itself - and just set DMZ to point to your IPCOP (or equiv) firewall, then set the external service access and port forwarding settings up on the firewall instead of the router.

Sounds long winded but it took about 4 mins here and we've got about 10 PC's (of which 5 are servers) sharing the connection with no problems.

Mike Holbrough
N/A

RE: Starter Pack Router - Port Forwarding

Woo!

Sorry! ARE YOU TRYING TO SSH INTO YOUR OWN FIXED IP ADDRESS VIA YOUR ADSL CONNECTION?

If so it WON'T work!

You'll need to use another PC connected via a different (external) IP address!! (dialup for example)

SSH will see someone with the same IP address as itself and immediately dismiss it.

Mike Holbrough