cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable Speed versus Sync Speed

N/A

I have a solid sync at 448/8128 and plusnet shows the line is capable of 8Mbits/s. Connection displays Connected at 8.1 mbits/s when I connect to Plusnet.

Speed changes kicked in on day 4 of Max DSL update and speed tests show 5.1-6.1 Mbits/s.

The expected stable speed should be c. 7.1 Mbits/s on the line sync of 8128.

Is this an indiction that Plusnet are not yet allocating full bandwidth that my line can support or are other factors at play?

Comments appreciated.
4 REPLIES
N/A

No, it means you are lucky and its working fine! I have the same line speeds as you, and can, depending on the time of day, get from 2Mbits to 7Mbits in real world speed.
My limited experience of Max is that you almost get a guaranteed 2Mbits at all times and if you are lucky up to 7Mbits depending on what you are doing. A big http file download will rocket in from the UK but a bit torrent from the states will sit at 2Mbits at 2am!
Maybe plus should advertise the service as "up to 8Mbit" to avoid confusion.
Don’t get me wrong I am very happy with my connection but the reality of 8Mbits is almost an anticlimax! For what I do 2Mbits was fast enough, big files took half a cup of coffee to get here, now it’s about three sips…still the coffee bill will fall!!!

Keep well,

Will
N/A

The Unstable Max ADSL

Unfortunately

Speeds have reduced to sub 1 mbit/s to 4.5 mbits/s and are often sub 2 mbit/s.

Time of day and BT contention all involved. Cry
N/A

What were you getting before Max? I was at 2mbits and it was as stable as a very stable thing! I think I am lucky as the exchange isn't anywhere near capacity so my line was the slowest part. If the exchange is near capacity when bumping everyone up to Max just makes speed problems worse?
Just a while back everyone was at 512, then they quadrupled to 2Mb then again to 8Mb did they beef up the infrastructure to cope...probably not!

Keep well,

Will
N/A

Mixed Bag

Around 12-1536 kbits/s - The checker reports that I should get up to 4.5 mbits/s given distance from exchange. Wait to see if this becomes a reality. Not a heavy user so not too concerned about sub-8 mbits/s speed.