cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sporadic Disconnects

jabb0
Grafter

Sporadic Disconnects

My ability to access the internet is getting very patchy these days.

I try reaching web pages but no joy.

My router says its connected, i can disconnect and reconnect successfully, but still not joy in accessing the net.

Its extremely frustrating as it always seems to happen at the worst possible times, and is becomming increasingly frequent.

So, what can i do to try and isolate the problem?

Networking really does give me the heebie geebies but i can get stuck in when i have to... all suggestion welcome and appreciated.
47 REPLIES
N/A

Sporadic Disconnects

I'm getting a lot of Server Not Found or Cannot Display This Page. I use the comp for an hour and it's fine,I go back an hour later and I have to reboot the comp as I cannot connect to any web pages with IE or Firefox.
I may even switch on the router first thing in the morning and then the first comp and cannot get any pages only the Server Not Found and I have to reboot.

Not sure if it's the comp,router,ISP or something else. This has only been happening the last few weeks. I have two comps connected to a router and sometimes one is fine and it's the other one I need to reboot, although sometimes I have to reboot both comps.
Community Veteran

Sporadic Disconnects

What DNS IPs are you both using - check with ipconfig/all in a dos box in windows.

If the DNS IPs are your routers, try manually setting DNS in windows using any of the following:

212.159.6.9 & 6.10
212.159.13.49 & 13.50

If that does not cure the problem, try using an alternate DNS from opendns:

N/A

Sporadic Disconnects

Thanks for the reply.

My Netgear DG834G router says DNS 212.159.6.10

I'll have a look and see how to change this in my router settings (assuming I can do that).
Community Veteran

Sporadic Disconnects

No, I mean change it in windows and see if it solves the problem. Changing it in your router does not eliminate it as the source of your problem.

Some routers can have problems if they are the DNS source for your system (I.e. your DNS IP address is your routers IP address). Changing Windows so it sends the DNS lookups direct to the DNS servers will prove if your router is causing the lookup problems or not.

What does the ipconfig/all command give you?
N/A

Sporadic Disconnects

It doesnt matter if u change ur router settings, Ur PC settings, or anything. PN will not change their servers.
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

Sporadic Disconnects

I too have been plagued by disconnections lately. My router says that I'm still connected and all the lights are showing that I am but i cannot get email or any web pages.
This happened a few months ago and PN told me that I probably had a fault with my router (netgear dg834). Strangely though, the problem seemed to sort itself out a couple of days later. Now over the past couple of weeks it has all started to happen again.
I suspect that it's something PN is doing to it's servers but I'll just wait a while and see what happens............that is, unless someone out there knows the answer. Any help would be gratefully received.
N/A

Sporadic Disconnects

Funny? no reply to this Post! hehe
N/A

disconnection problems

Just to add my voice to the disconnection debate. I recently upgraded to MaxDSL and coincidentally ever since have had a string of disconnection faults. Been 5 weeks now and averaging 1 dropout per day. They happen at any time, some can be reconnected via the router homepage, others need the power button off/on usually immediately but sometimes with a 1 hour wait (this after a conversation with PN support).

At the same time despite very constant connection speeds around 3500 Kbps my Speedtest figures vary hugely: best 2800 worst 196. The line seems much more volatile and you can get good browsing speeds one minute followed by "page cannot be displayed" the next. At the same time changed from Plus to Premier as PN advised better P2P performance - yeah right. No noticeable change at all even off-peak.

Is anyone experiencing similar problems? I have raised a fault ticket but PN trying to tell me that "adsl will drop from time to time" My previous fixed 1MB connection had 3 dropouts in 18 months, can't believe my current experience is "normal". PN current offering is to get BT to run tests but if they find no fault it will start to hurt in my pocket! What do you do when you know there's a problem and you believe you're being conned.
N/A

Sporadic Disconnects

Only 1 disconnect in 24 hours??

U lucky lucky person.

I used to have regular disconnects, probably 3-5 per HOUR.

Changed ISP. Now I never get disconnected.

My best is now 98hrs!!!!! Even then, I reseted my connection!

And for 18months Plusnet said it was my fault!!!!!

Good bye and Good ridance
flicker
Grafter

Sporadic Disconnects

I'm glad I found this last post. I am seriously starting to think along the same lines. Since last October, when I started experiencing very slow speeds (I am supposed to be on 2mg, I haven't upgraded to the faster speed) I am losing my connection approximately every 30 minutes, day and night, 7 days a week. BT have been here 4 times, and twice have failed to come when they had an appointment. They firstly said there was no fault, then there was a fault, then a guy did something at the exchange, I have had men in my loft, changed the socket on the wall three times, tried with their own laptop and modem, and still get disconnected. I even bought another usb modem in case it was my wireless set up, but it made no difference, still the same fault. Bought new adsl splitters. Everytime my phone receiver is lifted, it disconnects my broadband connection. Everytime someone rings my number, it disconnects. The only way I can keep my connection is to remove the phone from the socket, which works until someone dares to ring me. I am now no further forward than I was two months ago. It's like being back on dial up now, because the past few nights, my speed has dropped to below 90kpbs from about 4.30 in the afternoon until 10.30 - how strange, when all the kiddies are online I suppose, so it's overloaded. I am defintely thinking of going elsewhere now, because it seems that BT have exhausted the possibilities of the fault being with them, so by the law of averages, it has to be Plusnet doesn't it?
N/A

Sporadic Disconnects

I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones in that I only get 2 or 3 disconnects each day. This is since mid-December and I got told it was Xmas lights and all the other excuses for it not being PN at fault.

As Maxdsl is so quick to slow ones stable speed I seem trapped in a cycle of having a 3.5mb average connection speed that these 'disconnects' seem to be trying to rid me of. The upshot being that I've been at 500kbps for most of the last month.

I get router logs telling me that there was a loss of synch at random times during the day even at times when I know I've been sat here and would have seen the orange light come on.

What absolutely beggars belief is that there are so many complaints like this and yet PN seem to treat each one as an isolated incident rather than as an indication of a much larger problem. That being that Maxdsl is a bit rubbish.
N/A

Sporadic Disconnects

It's never Plusnet's fault for anything. :roll:

It's much easier to pass the buck.

All you ever hear is that they are starting some new programme etc or upgrading this or that and the service will be brilliant in a few months.
N/A

Sporadic Disconnects

I also have been getting more and more frequent "time outs" when the router shows me connected, but there is no internet (or e-mail access). I put this down to a possible fault with my router, but have now bought a new one (waste of money !) and the problems are identical.

I also am pleased to see that I am not alone and that this is obviously a Plus Net issue.

The fatc that plusNet has been acquired by BT can only mean that the service will go downhill. I am seriously thinking about switching to Virgin which is, after all, cheaper.
N/A

Sporadic Disconnects

I have now tried the DNS solution suggested avobe and this seems - for the moment - to have solved the problem. I live in hope Wink