cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitters

N/A

Splitters

Just a quick question that I hope someone can clarify.

Just got connected to ADSL today. :lol:

I have a splitter on each socket used in the house, however the main one which I use for my ADSL connection has 2 phones plugged into it. Am I ok plugging both these into the phone socket on the splitter via a dual socket?

I am experiencing regular disconnections when browsing the web. Is this due to another problem?

Thanks,

Paul
6 REPLIES
N/A

Splitters

Splitters and why they do/don't work seems to be something of a 'black-art'.

The simplist way to identify the cause is to remove everything from the phone system and then add things back one at a time until you discover the cuplrit. If you can, start with ONLY your router attached to the phone system via it's splitter. If that doesn't work, change splitters, just in case you have a faulty one. Hopefully this process will identify where the fault is introduced.

Good luck!
N/A

Splitters

Sorry to be a pain but another question Smiley

In anyones experience or knowledge, I have run a 15m telephone extension between my modem and main phone socket. Would it be better to run a 15m ADSL cable?

Does it make any difference in performance?

Thanks,

Paul.
N/A

Splitters

Rather pointless.

If we wanted to be exact, yey, you would. However,15M of mid-quality cabling should be suficient.

As for splitters.

You should have all analogue devices connected via splitters. This includes, phones, faxes, 56kb modems, sky boxes and tivo (for a better guide, everything except the adsl modem).

You can connect them via a socket doubler, provided they are on the filtered side of the splitter.
N/A

Splitters

the splitter splits the whole phone line into "phone" and "ADSL" so provided everything non-adsl is connected to the 'phone' side of the splitter you should be fine. That means that you can plug a dual-plug into the 'phone' side and plug a phone and a sky digibox into it for example.

My mess of cables (including a 25m cable up to the router) seems to work fine. I never get truely disconnected although my connection seems to slow to a crawl every other day requiring me to reboot it.
N/A

Splitters

If you are running your ADSL modem from your master socket, you can use one fo these things, http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/downloads/files/faceplate_splitter.pdf

It cost about £12 form www.solwise.co.uk It also has a connection that you can connect all your house extensions to (form the back) so that way all phone sockets in the house are filtered except for the master socket and since you run your adsl modem from the mains socket, you don't have to worry about having splitters on each extension in the house (kind of tidy too Smiley )
N/A

Splitters

Or the customised version from Clarity.it

It provides the filtered and unfiltered sockets on the front, filtered connectors from the rear & unfiltered.

Thus you can still hardwire ADSL somewhere else if needed.

I waited it out until they had these available, and it was well worth it.

I now have the ability to move my ADSL equipment upstairs into it's new purpose built home (re-decoration, and made a nice cooled spot in a previously unused space).