cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitters (Again)

N/A

Splitters (Again)

All,

Having purchased and set up my Alcatel 510 v4 yesterday, i plugged in the phone line to the splitter and the splitter to the router. To my dismay, no adsl line. after fiddleing about for a bit I plugged my line straight into the router and guess what - the dsl light came on.

do I need a splitter if I am not having a 'phone on the line ? I guess not cause it works great without it)

Also the router disconnected itself when my other half was on the phone (there is a splitter attached to the phone). Is it likely to be the fault of the splitter ?

They are the splitters that came with the router (excelsus technologies inc.)btw.

Should I just go and buy a fujitsu splitter for the 'phone ?

Bill
3 REPLIES
chino
Grafter

RE: Splitters (Again)

If you want to use DSL only (no phone) then you do not need a splitter, however if you want to use the phone as well then you need a splitter on every telephone box in the house that has either a phone/modem plugged into it. This either looks like a fawlty splitter!

hope this helps

cUnDaLl

>
> All,
>
> Having purchased and set up my Alcatel 510 v4 yesterday, i plugged in the phone line to the splitter and the splitter to the router. To my dismay, no adsl line. after fiddleing about for a bit I plugged my line straight into the router and guess what - the dsl light came on.
>
> do I need a splitter if I am not having a 'phone on the line ? I guess not cause it works great without it)
>
> Also the router disconnected itself when my other half was on the phone (there is a splitter attached to the phone). Is it likely to be the fault of the splitter ?
>
> They are the splitters that came with the router (excelsus technologies inc.)btw.
>
> Should I just go and buy a fujitsu splitter for the 'phone ?
>
>
> Bill

Saturn
Grafter

Well actually you only need one splitter if you insert it near/at the master socket and use the phone output of the splitter to connect all other sockets that have (or may have) a phone.

I used this method because it was most convenient and have never had a problem. This method was also recommended by Netgear Tech Support and it is a Netgear supplied splitter I am using. Maybe it is better quality than some on the market. It never ceases to amaze me how much trouble people are getting with these splitters and it's not as though they have any active components in them. Someone's making a lot of money from selling rubbish!
N/A

Try Plugging the phone in without any splitters at mine worked fine only on the odd occasion did the modem disconnect

coley