cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedtouch USB & Win 2000

N/A

Speedtouch USB & Win 2000

I am having crashing problems (due to the above modem?), I have worked backwards removing all software and hardware over the past few weeks, and along with a few posts I have seen on other boards believe this modem to be the cause. Wanted to know if anyone can either:

1) Tell me how to read/analyse the contents of a windows dump file to see if this is the case.

2) Let me know of any fixes they have used when experiencing this problem.

The 'crash' seems to be related when using/browsing with internet explorer 6 (have repaired installation and put on latest service pack) but I have often left the PC running for 5 or so hours without a problem, then suddenly without any software/screensavers etc running the PC just crashes, and restarts.

The problem seemed to be made worse by installing Limewire, so that has been removed.

Any help appreciated

Duncan
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Speedtouch USB & Win 2000

> The 'crash' seems to be related when using/browsing with internet explorer 6 (have repaired installation and put on latest service pack) but I have often left the PC running for 5 or so hours without a problem, then suddenly without any software/screensavers etc running the PC just crashes, and restarts.
>
> The problem seemed to be made worse by installing Limewire, so that has been removed.

Duncan,

I think that is more likely something that Limewire has left behind.. I used to use Kazaa(the same prog) and that did the same too me on 98, as it's very memory hungry.

How much mem does you win2k machine have 256k+ ?

Angus

N/A

Angus, thanks for replying. I have run adaware and it removed a fair bit of stuff (hadn't run it post limewire). Left the PC running all night and it was fine, which is odd! I am going to see if the drivers for the modem will upgrade just in case that is the cause.

I have enough memory for that not to be an issue, but am sure it is speedtouch related.
danep
Grafter

Hi Duncan,

I had exact same probs when I first got the alcatel. It is a power hungry beast. I cured it by feeding it a bigger power supply - 300W. Also make sure your PC is surge protected as I noticed it was prone to dropping out on the odd surge.

Regards
Dane

> I am having crashing problems (due to the above modem?), I have worked backwards removing all software and hardware over the past few weeks, and along with a few posts I have seen on other boards believe this modem to be the cause. Wanted to know if anyone can either:
>
> 1) Tell me how to read/analyse the contents of a windows dump file to see if this is the case.
>
> 2) Let me know of any fixes they have used when experiencing this problem.
>
> The 'crash' seems to be related when using/browsing with internet explorer 6 (have repaired installation and put on latest service pack) but I have often left the PC running for 5 or so hours without a problem, then suddenly without any software/screensavers etc running the PC just crashes, and restarts.
>
> The problem seemed to be made worse by installing Limewire, so that has been removed.
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> Duncan

N/A

For info, I think I have kinda located the problem. This is a spanish translation of something I found relating to the problems I was having:

Dear Customer,
Alcatel is aware of year exit with some peer-to-peer file-sharing software, in combination with Windows XP and the Alcatel SpeedTouch USB R1.4 drivers. This resulting appears in some boxes when the upstream bandwidth is completely used up by the file-sharing
application. Alcatel is working one this problem and hopes to Be whitebait to offer has solution to it' S customers have fast have possible.
One temporary workaround would Be to limit the upstream bandwidth that is available to the file-sharing software. We thank you for your patience and wish you has batch of fun with your Alcatel SpeedTouch USB modem in the future.

I am using 2000, but it definetly looks like it could be that, I will see what happens.

PS - anyone with similar problems on a VIA chipset would do well to update the VIA 4in1 thingy & maybe d/l the usb update.