cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds

Jeni
Grafter
Posts: 35
Registered: 08-08-2007

Speeds

I am new to ADSL connections but i seem to be getting really bad connection speeds. Web pages are taking ages to load in, downloads are really slow, i was getting 12kbs for a driver download from nvidia, i turned computer off for 30 mins or so and tried again and got 28kbs. It varies alot and has been doing so for a while. The problem i am getting has only really been noticeable since they did the upgrade or whatever it was last week.

I have read about altering MTU settings and stuff but i dont have a clue on that lol, any1 give me a bit of help on it to see if that fixes my problem?
12 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Speeds

> I am new to ADSL connections but i seem to be getting really bad connection speeds. Web pages are taking ages to load in, downloads are really slow, i was getting 12kbs for a driver download from nvidia, i turned computer off for 30 mins or so and tried again and got 28kbs. It varies alot and has been doing so for a while. The problem i am getting has only really been noticeable since they did the upgrade or whatever it was last week.
>
> I have read about altering MTU settings and stuff but i dont have a clue on that lol, any1 give me a bit of help on it to see if that fixes my problem?

I also had very slowwww down speeds yesterday, and i've noticed all this as happened since they did the plusdsl change over. Funny thing is the upload speed was fine i was gettin 30kb/s ish. I notice all this when i was downloading big files, the speed became very unstable jumping between 30 to 50 and today i've had some outage nothing going nowhere up or down had to log off and log back on.
And i've done the MTU change.
I phoned +net they said there was no generic fault, all they said is keep an eye on it, so thats all we can do sit here and suck it.
N/A

RE: Speeds

im on plusnet asdl using their router and things are fine for me. have you tried the normal checks
http://wiggum.monitor.plus.net.uk/

and using tracert www.bbc.co.uk from your dos promp in windows start to see where the delays are
N/A

RE: Speeds

> I am new to ADSL connections but i seem to be getting really bad connection speeds. Web pages are taking ages to load in, downloads are really slow, i was getting 12kbs for a driver download from nvidia, i turned computer off for 30 mins or so and tried again and got 28kbs. It varies alot and has been doing so for a while. The problem i am getting has only really been noticeable since they did the upgrade or whatever it was last week.
>
> I have read about altering MTU settings and stuff but i dont have a clue on that lol, any1 give me a bit of help on it to see if that fixes my problem?

Hi, Try this..........http://www.dslreports.com/faq/578
make sure you read it through first! Its not difficult. There are only two entries to make, BUT YOU MUST RE_BOOT your system for the changes to take effect, then re-test your speeds with whatever speed check facility you use? I use www.badwidthplace.com
the setting changes for an ADSL as reccomended by bt are
MTU 1458
RWIN 14180
It worked for me, and as I`m typing this ,I`m getting a raw speed of 457632.5kbps ie my bandwidth is 457.6 kbps..tokk 18.3 secs for a 1Mb download and is rated as "GREAT" in comparison with other systems, and is about 7.5 times faster than Dial-up 56K on the graph?
N/A

RE: Speeds

> > I am new to ADSL connections but i seem to be getting really bad connection speeds. Web pages are taking ages to load in, downloads are really slow, i was getting 12kbs for a driver download from nvidia, i turned computer off for 30 mins or so and tried again and got 28kbs. It varies alot and has been doing so for a while. The problem i am getting has only really been noticeable since they did the upgrade or whatever it was last week.
> >
> > I have read about altering MTU settings and stuff but i dont have a clue on that lol, any1 give me a bit of help on it to see if that fixes my problem?
>
> Hi, Try this..........http://www.dslreports.com/faq/578
> make sure you read it through first! Its not difficult. There are only two entries to make, BUT YOU MUST RE_BOOT your system for the changes to take effect, then re-test your speeds with whatever speed check facility you use? I use www.badwidthplace.com
> the setting changes for an ADSL as reccomended by bt are
> MTU 1458
> RWIN 14180
> It worked for me, and as I`m typing this ,I`m getting a raw speed of 457632.5kbps ie my bandwidth is 457.6 kbps..tokk 18.3 secs for a 1Mb download and is rated as "GREAT" in comparison with other systems, and is about 7.5 times faster than Dial-up 56K on the graph?



PS..if using www,bandwidthplace.com remember, the first figure is a guide to the bandwidth of your ADSL connection at that present time, If you retest you will see variations in the speeds, due to the systems involved! With this number, divide it by 8 and you should have a guide as to your actual transfer speed, then the last figure, given the transfer speed, indicates how long it would take to load a 1Mb file...
Other sites use various other methods, one even reports the MTU settings? showing that the settings you have made have actually changed? sorry,cant remember which one?

N/A

RE: Speeds

I have read about altering MTU settings and stuff but i dont have a clue on that lol, any1 give me a bit of help on it to see if that fixes my problem?.

Hi,

I'd really recommend having a look at the post we have available on our announcement pages last week with regards to MTU settings.

If you have slow connectivity we are concerned about your issue and we are not tying to pass the buck by what some people would term a "fob off".

If you would like your issue investigating I would recommend using the Contact Us system or giving us a call and we will be happy to assist further.

Best Regards,

Dave.

--
| David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

RE: Speeds

I have adjusted my MTU Settings as recommended and it hasn't made any difference what so ever. My Connection appears to start off well but after a while starts playing up. Check out speeds below, I think i might start using two cups and a piece of string to ehance my connection.

2002-11-18 05:05:31 EST: 37 / 64
Your download speed : 37976 bps, or 37 kbps.
A 4.6 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 64329 bps, or 64 kbps.

Pathetic isn't it!

Recommended fix = Move Companies (The only people I know having these major problems are plusnet users)
N/A

RE: Speeds

> Pathetic isn't it!
>

Yep got to agree it is. Why don't you post the following and see if anyone can help you sort it.

1) the test result from www.dslreports.com/tweaks (post the URL of the result)

2) tracert www.bbc.co.uk

3) ping -t www.google.com -l 1458 (after fifteen or so results press CTRL C to stop your after the max ping time so you can calculate the RWIN)

4) ping -f -l 1458 www.bbc.co.uk (note use a value that is 28 below your MTU from the test result in point 1 above)

5) what your comuter setup is router/ modem etc and what os your using.

Even if no one can help at least you then have all the information to give plusnet.



N/A

RE: Speeds

I know everyone has been going on about changing the MTU (as recommended by BT??) recently, and some have found a bit of an improvement, but in my experience the RWIN made a lot more difference.

For some reason when I first conncted (Windows ME) the RWIN was much to low, and my download speeds were about 1.5 times a 56K modem. Simply by changing the RWIN setting as suggested in www.dslreports.com I immediatly got download speeds of about 470kbps consistantly.

I would suggest all those (especially new to ADSL) who have speed problems to check the speed test at that website and follow their suggestions.

Alan

> > Pathetic isn't it!
> >
>
> Yep got to agree it is. Why don't you post the following and see if anyone can help you sort it.
>
> 1) the test result from www.dslreports.com/tweaks (post the URL of the result)
>
> 2) tracert www.bbc.co.uk
>
> 3) ping -t www.google.com -l 1458 (after fifteen or so results press CTRL C to stop your after the max ping time so you can calculate the RWIN)
>
> 4) ping -f -l 1458 www.bbc.co.uk (note use a value that is 28 below your MTU from the test result in point 1 above)
>
> 5) what your comuter setup is router/ modem etc and what os your using.
>
> Even if no one can help at least you then have all the information to give plusnet.
>
>
>
>

Jeni
Grafter
Posts: 35
Registered: 08-08-2007

RE: Speeds

> I know everyone has been going on about changing the MTU (as recommended by BT??) recently, and some have found a bit of an improvement, but in my experience the RWIN made a lot more difference.
>
> For some reason when I first conncted (Windows ME) the RWIN was much to low, and my download speeds were about 1.5 times a 56K modem. Simply by changing the RWIN setting as suggested in www.dslreports.com I immediatly got download speeds of about 470kbps consistantly.
>
> I would suggest all those (especially new to ADSL) who have speed problems to check the speed test at that website and follow their suggestions.
>
> Alan
I understand about tweaking and how it can make it faster but i dont want to go messing about with something i know nothing about. I am running windows XP home. I have followed instructions on DSL reports about finding out what the RWIN should be set at but then i read different things about windows XP and how it works differently. If ne1 can give me more help i would be extremely grateful.
N/A

RE: Speeds

> I understand about tweaking and how it can make it faster but i dont want to go messing about with something i know nothing about. I am running windows XP home. I have followed instructions on DSL reports about finding out what the RWIN should be set at but then i read different things about windows XP and how it works differently. If ne1 can give me more help i would be extremely grateful.


:p

I'm using w2k so am unsure on XP. But with all these tweaks you are manually fixing the MTU and RWIN from the windows default and I'm sure this is the case with XP as well.

Have a look at this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314053 it shows MTU and RWIN are optional parameters that can be created and given values, no different from w2k.

Presume you can use DrTcp to set them if you don't want to edit the registry, although maybe a windows XP user who's done the tweak can confirm this for you.
N/A

RE: Speeds

> Presume you can use DrTcp to set them if you don't want to edit the registry, although maybe a windows XP user who's done the tweak can confirm this for you.

Yes, you can use Dr. TCP to set the values on a Windows XP machine. If you go to http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks, it will tell you what the optimum values are.

Tim
N/A

RE: Speeds


> I understand about tweaking and how it can make it faster but i dont want to go messing about with something i know nothing about. I am running windows XP home. I have followed instructions on DSL reports about finding out what the RWIN should be set at but then i read different things about windows XP and how it works differently. If ne1 can give me more help i would be extremely grateful.


Hi,

If your worried about possible bad effects on your system (a reasonable worry I guess) why not set a system restore point on Win XP. Then try the tweak as described on DSL reports. You can try various of the suggested values for RWIN and MTU from either their speed check report or from other users on the forum here. You will probably be OK and if it all goes pear shaped you can just do a system restore back to before you started tweaking. Thats what System Restore is for after all.

regards,
Alan