cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds on DSLMax

Enkel
Grafter

Speeds on DSLMax

Here's a strange one. Before going on to DSLMax I had a 1Mbit connection and the speed test consistently showed Ca 120Kbytes/s download speeds. On downloading a file I found my Download manager agreed with this. My router synched at 1288Kb/s.

After I went on to DSLmax my router (eventually) settled down to 3400Kb/s. BT told PlusNet (I am informed) that my speed was 2Mbit/s. The speed test shows download speeds of 64Kbytes/sec(!). Yesterday I downloaded Open Office (all 90Mbytes of it) at a rate of 220Kbytes/s, which agrees with BT's assessment of my line, but is out of step with my router and, more worryingly, Plusnet's speed tester, which still shows a download rate of about 75Kb/s.

My question is, have all the people complaining about download speeds taken their complaints from speed test results or have they actually observed these poor speeds when downloading? And why is Plusnet's speed tester doing so badly with DSLMax?

Any views, anyone?
9 REPLIES
N/A

Speeds on DSLMax

Well I'm just a ignoramus who dropped in for enlightenment. I've had no end of trouble since the "8Mps" upgrade - PLus speed test was initially in the upper 2K range but has dropped steadily over the past couple of days and now reads approx 650K ! Could it be the tester - I hope so - but in truth if my connection were stable and my computer functioning well I'd be happy with less speed.
Ritey
Grafter

Speeds on DSLMax

dont u realise its all just just a typo.....

it should be dslMIN

well, some ppl!
ID
Grafter

Re: Speeds on DSLMax

My question is, have all the people complaining about download speeds taken their complaints from speed test results or have they actually observed these poor speeds when downloading? And why is Plusnet's speed tester doing so badly with DSLMax?

Any views, anyone?

Well Adsl guide shows me at a constant 5-6mb
Speed Test Results
Downstream 5,413.2 Kbps ( = 5.3 Mbps )

and here are my last plusnet results
Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
15-05-2006 20:56:09 2015.2
15-05-2006 20:55:43 2836.6
15-05-2006 20:55:10 1353.6
14-05-2006 21:59:37 3382.3
14-05-2006 21:59:15 3397.3
14-05-2006 21:58:57 4722.5
N/A

Speeds on DSLMax

I just got 0.8mbps down and 01.mbps up on adslguide speedtester.

I'm so GLAD I upgraded to 0.8 MaxDSL!
Slipperymack
Grafter

Speeds on DSLMax

Have just read this -

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/news/viewnews.cgi?id=EEuZylFVVklLlcucEv

Its all going well !!!!! - but points to being a BT problems and not necessarily PN.
Enkel
Grafter

Speeds on DSLMax

Oh my! Something's just happened! I read the link malb1 pointed to and saw that BT were supposed to be doing something about this problem yesterday. Also support suggested in the first entry on this forum that we tweak our MTU's and RWIN's. "You might get marginally improved results" they said. So I changed my MTU from 1500 to 1478 and my RWIN from 8192 to 17256. Then I rebooted and ran the test again. Caramba! from 312Kb/s to 2100Kb/s in one fell swoop!. A Result!!! Good old +Net! Or good old BT! Not two organisations that get too much praise in these columns, but praise where it's due. Well done both, I say.

PS Sorry to hear of your problems, arebanks. Try the tweaks I did and see what happens.
N/A

Speeds on DSLMax

dont u realise its all just just a typo.....

it should be dslMIN

well, some ppl!

and MinusNet !
:?
N/A

Speeds on DSLMax

But the REAL problem with all these paranoid speed freaks (and yes, I am one also) is that the speed tests are now so unreliable because everybody is using them all the time. They were never designed for so many users to be putting so much data through them. Why does the BT one only quote figures for 2 Mb ? It is out of date, that's why. the BT one gives me much worse figures than I get elsewhere. Just put a 10 meg file on your webspace then download it again and time it (or use NetMeter). You are the only person reading that file so you are going to get a better reading of your actual speed.

:shock: Nivram.
N/A

Speeds on DSLMax

You need to test very early in the morning.
About 6am should do it.
I use dslzoneuk.net and at this time of the morning I usually get 6.39 Mbps (840 kilobytes per second!!!)

By about 10am this drops to about 500K.

try downloading a large file with explorer early in the morning.
My IE nearly always reports 750 - 840 Kilobytes per sec.

Andrew