cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds and losing siginal

N/A

Hi there

Over the past week or so, I have found that web pages are taking longer to download and the modem indication (binatone USB provided by plus net) stops transmitting a signal for 20 to 30 seconds.
Also my speeds seemed to have dropped from downloading at 506kbs according to the plus net speed test on the 30/12 to 478 kbs today.
I have tried to download the latest driver for the binatone USB modem (xp) but do I need to and would this help.
My speeds on ADSL guide are between 460 - 496 and 252 - 272 on a fairly regular basis.
I have downloaded the drtcp021 and used the tweak settings 1430-13900, 1458-14180. 1472-14320. 1478-14380 and 1500-14600. The fasted I could get is 460-496 - 252 272 on the 1430-13900 & 1478 -14380. Are there any other settings I could use?
I am using the 512 50.1 Home start package.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Jeff B
Cry
13 REPLIES
N/A

Try 1478 / 17256 aswell. You might not get a faster
reading on the speedtest but you may notice
faster browsing speeds especially on long distance
servers.
The point here is you were getting faster speeds before
and have suddenly got a drop without making any
changes, as has been happening to many users
including myself.
So this may indicate the culprit as being BT .
Have a look to see if your exchange is due for an
upgrade here.
Obviously run through the usual tests of checking your wiring
filters etc. as detailed in many other topics. Check also that your DNS
settings are correct.
Alec
N/A

Hi there

thanks for the tweaks settings i will give them ago.

My exchange was due to be updated according to the link you sent me on the 31/12/03 but it is still on amber.

My dns settings are 212.159.13.49 & 212.159.13.50 are these ok.

I have checked the filters and the modem and they are both fine.

Any other ideas please let us know

yours

Jeff B
N/A

Your DNS settings are fine.
My exchange was due to be upgraded on 31/12/03 aswell my neighbour on BTO reported being disconnected
for about an hour , but when I checked my own connection
there was no improvement. Still the guide is only approximate,
so I'll give it a few more days, befor making enquiries.
N/A

There was an update to the database on the 22nd of December, have, the data is yet to be imported into the database.

I can pass along any information if you want it regarding the updates and attempt to make a start into importing it into the database.

What exchange are you on, and I will manualy check?
N/A

Hi there

my exchange is hednesford in staffordshire.

many thanks

Jeff B
N/A

If you would'nt mind checking Bowes Park aswell,
Thanks Smiley
N/A

Bowes Park is showing Amber still, with no changes to the update date (still Dec).

Hednesford is now showing Red, yet the date has not changed. A change to red would sugest a deterioration from last tiem the list was generated.
N/A

Thanks for the info.
Alec.
N/A

Those wishing to know, the database is now updated.

BT published the new list on the 22nd December, right smack band where I didn't want to touch it.

As such, although I have made the updates, the data is still pre-new year, and as such doesn't give much detail.

Some exchanges have now moved to Red, and some to green. Some have also be added to the list.

Those exchanges that have had no status changes at all will still display the old update date of 17th Dec 2003.

With a busy work schedual this week, I will attempt to generate a list of the more important changes that have been made.

The most important update to that list will likely arrive towards the end of this month, when confirmation of any December works where carried out.

No extensive testing was performed on the DB prior to release, so if you see any major hickups, please lets either Eurotrain4 or myself known ASAP and we can restore the "Known to work" backups.
N/A

Once again, less than 5 working days and BT have made an update to the list.

The Database already reflects this new list.

Bowes Park is still on Amber, and the ETA has now moved to Friday the 13th Feb. You ask me, thats askign for trouble Tongue

Hednesford is now showing Amber again, and again the date has moved, though tot he 6th Feb for this one.

Can PlusNet comment on whos ass is gonna be kicked on the failure to deliver the "Half completed in Dec the rest in Jan"?
N/A

Thanks for the update on hednesford exchange...

roll on the 6th of feb and i might be surfing true broadband speed.

thanks again

Jeff B
Smiley
Ianwild
Grafter

Yep - We are addressing this with BT. They are citing continued demand and equipment supply problems and really there isn't anything we can do to push them any harder than we are. This ball is out of our court I'm afraid, although we will continue to escalate this as far as we can...

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Thirteen's my lucky number Cool
But we are talking about BT here, so I'm
playing it extra safe.....I'll be wearing my
lucky jumper aswell !