cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SpeedTouch Home modem connection???

N/A

SpeedTouch Home modem connection???

I've got an Alcatel Speedtouch Home modem left over from when we left Homechoice (it's the ethernet version with an ATMF port). Having loads of problems configuring for PlusNet - does anyone have any suggestions?

Here's what I've managed to do:
1. I'm using PPP to PPTP relay for the modem to PC connection (via ethernet).

2. Configured IP address of the PC to be on the same subnet as the modem. They can now talk to each other ('ping' is successful).

3. Deleted the crossconnect to the ATMF port for VPI 0 VCI 38 and reconnected it to the modem's ethernet port. This should create a simple passthrough directly between the ADSL line to the PC.

4. DHCP is turned OFF.

5. Created a dial-up connection using Microsoft VPN adapter and connected to the IP address of the modem (10.0.0.13Cool.

When trying to connect to PlusNet, we get "The remote computer did not respond" after about 5 secs......

Help!!!

--
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: SpeedTouch Home modem connection???

I had the same modem from HC (actually its a modem/router).
I converted the Home to a Pro (one of manywebsites: http://www.petri.co.il/upgrade_from_home_to_pro.htm)
I upgraded my firmware to KHDSAA3.270.

This gives you NAT/PNAT and a firewall.

One important step is to delete the ATMF ports via the CLI (telnet) type 'help atmf'.

If you have a static IP address account I could give you the info for my complete NAT setup.

btw: Its a great router except that its NAT ICMP imlplementation is broken. Which means you cannot use the windows tracer route program. You can get around this by using a tracer route program that uses UDP (like UNIX) from necrosoft.
N/A

> I had the same modem from HC (actually its a modem/router).
> I converted the Home to a Pro (one of manywebsites: http://www.petri.co.il/upgrade_from_home_to_pro.htm)
> I upgraded my firmware to KHDSAA3.270.
>
> This gives you NAT/PNAT and a firewall.
>
> One important step is to delete the ATMF ports via the CLI (telnet) type 'help atmf'.
>
> If you have a static IP address account I could give you the info for my complete NAT setup.
>
> btw: Its a great router except that its NAT ICMP imlplementation is broken. Which means you cannot use the windows tracer route program. You can get around this by using a tracer route program that uses UDP (like UNIX) from necrosoft.
>

N/A

Oops....

Thanks Mini Me - will have a think because all the warnings make me nervous!

By the way, I'm running Win98 and tried to upgrade dial-up networking to v1.4 to support PPTP clients.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUNetworking/dun14/Default.asp

But it said my version of windows is incompatible (strange since it's a Win98 specific fix....). Anyway, do you think my current "lack" of PPTP client support the reason for my modem problems?

N/A

>But it said my version of windows is incompatible
>(strange since it's a Win98 specific fix....).
> Anyway, do you think my current "lack" of PPTP
> client support the reason for my modem problems?

Could well be, I would suggest upgrading to a proper operating system im using win2k pro never had any network problems after installing it.

As for upgrading the Alcatel router from a Home to a Pro you should definately do it. The Home is very very insecure, I think anybody can access it from the inet via frontdoors backdoors you name it.

I am now using the latest (and last?) firmware Khdsaa3.281[md5:ade9dedf3c513aa06dacf3cc49806fb6] and have had no problems. It seems uploading the firmware is very safe on this device just make sure you dont have a passive version before uploading cause i think it runs out of space otherwise u will get a 'error writing to file' message took me ages to figure that out :/

PPTP will also make your connection and computer slightly slower maybe you dont mind this.
N/A

Dont know if this is any help or has anything to do with the router but I just broke 500 kbps barrier 500.4 kpbs woohooo Smiley

MTU: 576
RWIN: 28360
Windows Scaling: On
Selective Acks: On
Path MTU Discovery: On
N/A

> Dont know if this is any help or has anything to do with the router but I just broke 500 kbps barrier 500.4 kpbs woohooo Smiley
>
> MTU: 576
> RWIN: 28360
> Windows Scaling: On
> Selective Acks: On
> Path MTU Discovery: On

Oops the MTU should be 1458