cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed upgrade £5 from plusnet

N/A

I just read this on the Znet news site it says you can get a speed upgrade withing days if you pay plusnet £5 or you could be waiting upto 11 weeks

link

it says they send 1,000 a week to BT for the free upgrade but there are 11,000 waiting for it at the moment.

Any coments ?

[Moderator's note by James - (sallyandjames): Shortened URL as it was stretching the page.]
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

this was announced publicly on 26th september by PN on a service status announcement which can be viewed here

[Moderator's note by James - (sallyandjames): Shortened URL as it was stretching the page.]
N/A

Re: Speed upgrade £5 from plusnet

I just read this on the Znet news site it says you can get a speed upgrade withing days if you pay plusnet £5 or you could be waiting upto 11 weeks

link

it says they send 1,000 a week to BT for the free upgrade but there are 11,000 waiting for it at the moment.

Any coments ?

Yeah, Blackmail is what I call it. Evil
I applied for the upgrade 5 months ago, but nothing yet, but others are jumping the queue for £5.
I won't pay the £5 on principle, plus the service just lately has been crap anyway, I should be getting a rebate!
Stop the queue jumping, and connect us all as promised.
Mick

Alecto
Grafter

When Max first became available, you had the choice to jump the queue for free.
If you were so keen on it, why did you not do that?
shellsong
Grafter

Re: Speed upgrade £5 from plusnet

Hey Geoff, didn't you notice!
I applied for the upgrade 5 months ago, but nothing yet, but others are jumping the queue for £5.

I joined about the same time as iowight yet I was upgraded over two months ago with no attempt at queue jumping-- how come similar old hands didn't get upgraded at the same time? PlusNet seem to have been singularly inept at this and charging £5 extra is an insult to many longstanding customers who were supposed to be prioritised
N/A

Yeah i think I applied in April, the same day they actually opened the original max queue jump applications. Back when all the talk was "hey my ticket number is this and i was at 5.00pm" and "aww i missed out by 10 mins" etc..

I didn't get upgraded until last month when i gave in and used the "Max DSL Upgrades here thread"...however that has now been closed in favour of the £5 upgrades. I'd imagine it was taking up just a little too much of the time of the CSC.
N/A

Back in March, when you could actually speak to someone on the phone at PN, they told me that (and this was before I moved to PN) that "as soon as MAX is available in your area you will be on it".

Well MAX in my area became available in March/April time, and I am not on it. And I have no idea when I will be, despite receiving an email saying it was happening 'shortly'.

So rather than me paying £5 to get what is now seven months late, perhaps I should be sending a bill for £5 each month that they've failed to honour their promise.
Alecto
Grafter

Remember, Max was initially such a lashup that they stopped putting people on it for a while till it settled down. That's why it's gone slower than they thought.

There was the facility early on to q jump on to max for free, which you must have missed.
N/A

Thing is it's still going slow for alot of us, because they are pushing us to the back of the queue to make room for people who will pay them for a "PROMISED" FREE service!! how can that be right? :?

[Moderator's note by James - (sallyandjames): Full quote of preceding post removed as per the link:rules]
N/A

The mass upgrades are not effected by the queue jump methods:

A fixed number of connections are submitted via the mass upgrade tool, the queue jump upgrades are submitted manually without a reduction in the number being submitted via the mass tool IIRC.
N/A

>>The mass upgrades are not effected by the queue jump methods<<

If they are not affected, then why pay £5 to jump the queue in the first place?

Which queues are people paying extra to jump?
N/A

Erm, to save waiting your turn in the mass upgrades queue?

I suppose the statement that they aren't effected was a little ambiguous!

What I meant is, if you are waiting your turn in the mass upgrades queue, you won't end up worse off because others are paying to jump the queue. I suppose in reality those waiting in the mass queues will progress more quickly if people are paying to be taken out of the queue and manually upgraded.
N/A

So the fixed amount that are upgraded every month could be increased if there was no queue jumping scheme?

Or to put it another way, you lowered the maximum amount that could originally be upgraded for free, to allow you to charge extra?

If Plusnet can only put forward a maximum number of upgrades per month, then the people who pay extra must make up part of that maximum number?
Mick
N/A

No, there are two tools for processing the upgrades.

I forget the figures, but for the sake of argument, lets say BTw allow PN to submit 1000 orders per day using the mass tool.

This figure (whatever it actually is) is unaffected by the use of the manual system.

The manual tool is being used in parallel to process additional upgrades, but because its a manual process, and therefore takes more agent time than the mass tool, PN are charging a nominal fee to cover the extra cost.

Clearly BTw charge PN for each and every upgrade to MaxDSL, but PN decided it was worth them shouldering the cost of upgrading the entire userbase, to maintain their reputation for being at the forefront of the ISP's in the marketplace.

The cost of upgrading the entire userbase will have been calculated using the costs of administrating the mass tool for upgrades. Using a manual system will clearly incur additional overhead costs, hence the charge.
N/A

OK,even accepting all the reasons for the delays explain this to me: I have a home connection and a business connection and put my upgrade requests in for both within ten minutes of each other. My home connection is currently in the middle of its 10-day test period whereas my business connection hasn't even received the email saying the upgrade will be carried out shortly yet. I've just opened a ticket with the following message:

Some time ago I requested a free, automatic upgrade to "Up to 8 Mb" on both my home and business connections. Currently my home connection is 6 days into the 10-day test period but on my business connection I haven't even had the email advising me you're about to upgrade yet. Given that the request on both connections was put in on the same day could you please let me know why you have not yet upgraded this connection. Thank you.

However I'm posting this message here as well because, as we all know, even though the response time currently being given on tickets is nine hours and some, when Plusnet dosn't like a query response time tends to be anywhere between two days and NEVER.