cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed test

N/A

Speed test

How can I test that my Broadband is up to speed.

When downloading files from the internet I get a maximum speed 66Kbps :roll: .

As anyone else in here I pay £25/month after upgrading from a dial up service. I want to make sure I am getting what I paid for, ie 288kbps upstream/576kbps downstream. I would not mind if I get 75% of that. Wink

I am using a Plusnet supplied Binatone USB modem. My PC has: VIA KT133 chipset motherboard with 1Ghz Athalon + 128mb memory.

Guureeye
9 REPLIES
N/A

Speed test

Community Veteran

Re: Speed test

As anyone else in here I pay £25/month after upgrading from a dial up service. I want to make sure I am getting what I paid for, ie 288kbps upstream/576kbps downstream. I would not mind if I get 75% of that. Wink

That is the raw connection speeds and not the actual data transfer speeds. There are packet header overheads which reduce those figures. A good line should give your 450Kbits/s downstream or higher but you may need to tweak your MTU settings to get this.
N/A

Speed test

At 66Kbps when downloading files, you are getting maximum speed.
There is a difference between raw connection speed and actual data transfer speed. It is Kilobytes and kilobits, they are different measurements.
If you remember, at 56K dailup, transfer speeds wer generally around 4Kbps
N/A

Speed test

60kbps is 60Kb/s

There are Kb and KB. Small b for bits and capital for Bytes.
N/A

Speed test

66Kb/s = 8.25 KB/s, it's unlikely to be 66KB,
so there may be a problem if thats the download
speed from all servers.
Alec.
N/A

Speed test

There are Kb and KB. Small b for bits and capital for Bytes.

Confusing innit?

I was taught that capital K meant Kelvin (as in absolute temperature) and that capital B meant Bel (as in dB, decibel)!
N/A

Speed test

Yeah, I know. We've been here before on the KB and kb issue. kbps for connection and KB/s for actual download speed. (I know I used kbps, just being lazy)

What is being used to measure the download speed. The speed indication in the download progress window is not accurate and is only an indication. Iv'e seen 60+ figures there before myself.
Therefore, data transfer of 66KB/s [correct] is a reasonable assumption and good.
N/A

Speed test

1 byte = 8 bits
so 64kbytes/sec = 512kbits/sec

We measure our file sizes in kbytes, but ISPs rate their speed in kbits because it sounds faster!
N/A

Speed test

Thank you all for your replies.

I used Plusnet's speed test page and I got 470Kilobits/second. In ADSLguide web site the result was actual speed of 460Kbits/second and "true" speed of 495kilobits/second.

It seems the figure of 66kb/s that I was getting was in kilobytes rather than in kilobits.

Again, thank you all

Guureeye