cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed query

N/A

Speed query

I'm on the old £21.99 ADSL Home Self-Install 512 product, which has now gone to 2Mb following the free upgrade.

When I was on 512 and ran the speed test, I regularly got speeds like 490kbps, instead of the 460kbps benchmark. But I'm not getting close to the 2Mb benchmark of 1840kbps - more like 1200 to 1600 (I've tried at various times). My router reports the line is fine with very good stats due to a close exchange, and says it can achieve a rate of 7573kbps.

I expected that if there were load / contention problems, I would have 20% knocked off whatever my speed was, so I'm puzzled that the speeds were excellent at 512, but so-so at 2mb. Is this wrong of me? Is there some other factor at play?
23 REPLIES
N/A

Speed query

If you are running XP and havent done the fix it will keep 20% of the bandwidth for its self.

Increase BROADBAND:

this ones simple:
this is for broad band connections. I didn’t try it on dial up but might work for dial up.
1.make sure your logged on as actually "Administrator". do not log on with any account that just has administrator privileges.
2. start - run - type gpedit.msc
3. expand the "local computer policy" branch
4. expand the "administrative templates" branch
5. expand the "network branch"
6. Highlight the "QoS Packet Scheduler" in left window
7. in right window double click the "limit reservable bandwidth" setting
8. on setting tab check the "enabled" item
9. where it says "Bandwidth limit %" change it to read 0
reboot if you want to but not necessary on some systems your all done. Effect is immediate on some systems. some need re-boot. I have one machine that needs to reboot first, the others didn't. Don't know why this is.

This is more of a "counter what XP does" thing. In other words, XP seems to want to reserve 20% of the bandwidth for its self. Even with QoS disabled, even when this item is disabled. So why not use it to your advantage. To demonstrate the problem with this on stand alone machines start up a big download from a server with an FTP client. Try to find a server that doesn't max out your bandwidth. In this case you want a slow to medium speed server to demonstrate this. Let it run for a couple of minutes to get stable. The start up another download from the same server with another instance of your FTP client. You will notice that the available bandwidth is now being fought over and one of the clients download will be very slow or both will slow down when they should both be using the available bandwidth. Using this "tweak" both client

The next thing is anything downloading on your pc like MS Update, AV etc

There could be other people using your line as there could in theory 30 other people on the line.
N/A

Speed query

Thanks for that, but I'm on W98SE, so maybe it's the later things you mentioned, but I'll certainly remember the advice for my next PC.
cbkbt

Speed query

when i type in the gpedit.msc it says my computer cant find it, any help?
N/A

Speed query

the directory gpedit is in may not be in your path

try C:\WINDOWS\system32\gpedit.msc
cbkbt

Speed query

nope its not anywhere, i searched for it and the file extension .msc but only got a few things, anything elser it could be called?
N/A

Speed query

gpedit.msc should exist on XP Pro (but not XP Home).
cbkbt

Speed query

that shall be why then, im on XP home
N/A

Speed query

does XP home have regedit?

try running "regedit" then browse to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Psched"
double click "NonBestEffortLimit" and change it's value to "0" and leave "hexadecimal" selected.
Geez
Grafter

Speed query

try running "regedit" then browse to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Psched"
double click "NonBestEffortLimit" and change it's value to "0" and leave "hexadecimal" selected.

Couldn't find Psched in XP Home Sad

Think it's time I upgraded!
cbkbt

Speed query

no such place
N/A

Speed query

sorry, i'm stumped then.
N/A

Speed query

hey guys, ok i've managed to fine gpedit.msc and followed the instructions, now i wait and see if my speed increases.....im very disappointed with plus net at the minute, as everytime i have tested the bandwidth speed in 'connection settings' its so low and not up to the standard. It is not consistant and these are the results ive obtained:

Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
04-09-2005 22:24: 59 99.2
01-09-2005 00:14:48 885.7
01-09-2005 00:01:57 553.4
29-08-2005 11:02:45 1944.3
27-08-2005 23:06:00 617.3
27-08-2005 15:54:30 459.1
27-08-2005 15:54:01 549.6
27-08-2005 15:08:09 380.6
21-08-2005 22:59:27 1901.6
N/A

Is it always this slow?

I literally just activated my account a few hours ago. Seriously, why is it so slow? I'm averaging 400 - 700 kbps on a 2Mb connection. I've seen other peoples comments. Is this the norm?

PS. I've changed the system reserve setting to use 0% bandwidth.
N/A

Speed query

Just connected tonight, and I'm only able to connect at 1.1mps