cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed of connection

N/A

Speed of connection

I'm new to Plusnet and have been testing the bandwidth using the speed checker. I am getting a result of between 70 and 90 Kbps which doesnt strike me as very fast. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Thanks for your advice

Chris
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Speed of connection

I'm new to Plusnet and have been testing the bandwidth using the speed checker. I am getting a result of between 70 and 90 Kbps which doesnt strike me as very fast. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Thanks for your advice

Chris

Chris I think these figures are Kilo Bytes not Kilo Bits so need to multiplied by 8 to get the real bit rate.
Try the checker on the adslguide I think it gives a better picture of your true rates.
http://www.adslguide.org.uk
N/A

Speed of connection

Thanks John

Have tried the adslguide test twice
first time the Down/Up figures were 372/135 Kbps
second time they were 46/165 Kbps!!
ie a huge variation

still baffled!

Chris
N/A

Speed of connection

Hello again John

I think I've cracked it
tried disconnecting the filters and phone cord and the speed shot up!
now need to figure out why?

thanks again

Chris
Community Veteran

Speed of connection

Chris

One thing to make sure of is that you are not actually going through 2 fiters in your normal set up.
It is quite easy to have this happen by accident if for example you have the main line coming in downstairs and fit afilter in there whose phone output then supplies the main phone and the cable up to the extension.
Then if you fit another filter in the extension socket feeding the extension phone and the ADSL modem your ADSL circuit will have passed through the low pass filter downstairs and in theory should not work at all but in practise you may have a massive loss resulting in odd figures.

May not be the above of course but worth a check?

Good luck and hope you get it sorted.
N/A

Speed of connection

I am using a similar set up one filter downstairs one upstairs, though i have the extension connected to a splitter before the first filter. The reason I do this is that the phone line is toatally unusable otherwise.