cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues again

flicker
Grafter

Speed issues again

Can anyone help with an explanation as to the speed test results, ie why would the speed of my connection change so drastically from one test to the next, which may only be a couple of minutes later, with no programmes running, and I haven't disconnected/re-connected? For instance, I noticed how slow the webpages were loading again tonight, so came on here to test the speed. I got between 550-700 several times in a row, so disabled my connection and it came back at 929, so I thought great stuff, so out of interest, I tried it again before going off, and I just got -

Your current speed is:

392.70kbps

Absolutely incredible, bloody terrible in fact Sad I have been doing the test every two minutes now for around 20 minutes and apart from the one where it came out as what you would expect, it has been way way below what it should be. WHY? :? How can it be okay and then not when I haven't done a thing?
10 REPLIES
flicker
Grafter

Speed issues again

Thought I would post the entire sad story actually - these are the tests -

02-02-2005 19:48:21 739.3
02-02-2005 19:39:47 392.7
02-02-2005 19:39:17 690.7
02-02-2005 19:38:36 694.9
02-02-2005 19:37:45 814.1
02-02-2005 19:35:58 558.4
02-02-2005 19:33:41 754.5
02-02-2005 19:32:43 726.3
02-02-2005 19:31:09 566.1
02-02-2005 19:26:05 928.5
02-02-2005 19:20:59 507.6
02-02-2005 19:19:03 507.9
02-02-2005 19:17:12 509
02-02-2005 19:16:02 532.4

And since when is b l o o d y a word that needs to be censored? Makes it look like I have said the f word or something, which quite frankly I feel like saying but would never post on a forum . Wink
Community Veteran

Speed issues again

And since when is b l o o d y a word that needs to be censored?

I think you are right and it shouldnt need to be censored, but I didn't decide on that so I'll have to consult with the other Moderators and see if it can be "Un-censored" Smiley

As to your speed issues I wonder if you are suffering from the effects of contention either at your local exchange or on the network to the PlusNet node?.

I can only suggest having a look on user tools to see if your exchange has any issues and if not then raising a link:Contact us ticket.
flicker
Grafter

Speed issues again

Thank you John. Okay I have checked my local exchange, and is showing green, all a-okay, but the last date was January 12th, so anything could have happened since then.
I will send a contact ticke then.
Smiley
N/A

Speed issues again

Hi,

This ticket was replyed to although we need more information. Please action all the things listed in the ticket and we will investigate the matter further.
flicker
Grafter

Speed issues again

Thanks for the help so far. However, I have been doing a bit of experimenting today to see if I can get to the bottom of the problem myself, and I have made a few discoveries, but still need advice as to why/how to resolve them. I tried the speed test on my desk pc which is connected to the wireless router/modem with an ethernet cable, and constantly got results of 930+ . So I then instantly tried with my laptop which is wireless using a netgear WG511 54 Mbps Wireless card, and got my usual very low connection speed. ( 512.30kbps) I then pulled out the card, and connected the laptop using the ethernet cable direct to the modem and got 957kbps over and over again. I therefore deduce it is a problem with the card - can these be faulty, is it the wrong card, etc?

I am relieved anyway to know that its not the phone line, or the cable, or my laptop, or the filter or the exchange or a contention issue! Cool

Can anyone offer any more advice, or shall I need to go back to the shop I bought the set up from and get them to check the card out?

Thanks Smiley
Community Veteran

Speed issues again

OK first of all I have removed one of your two posts. they were almost identical so I have taken out the first one.

Glad you have managed to pin it down to what seems to be the radio link and not your actual ADSL connection..
Radio links can slow down if the signal gets weak as it in effect reduces the available bandwidth. At the frequencies used for Wifi which are very high, even walking about can affect the strength received due to getting multiple reflected paths that are in antiphase. ie the main signal gets reduced by a signal arriving later and out of phase.

Suggest you try repositioning aerials and see if you can improve the signal.
flicker
Grafter

Speed issues again

Thanks. The signal strength I get from my wireless modem/router always says excellent or at worst, very good. When I did the tests I mentioned above, I was actually sitting about 3 feet away from it with my laptop. I am in a bungalow so the signal is always strong, as it only has to go through one thin wall to where I am normally using my laptop. I am a bit limited as to where I could place the modem anyway because of the phone socket/situation of my pc. Could there be any other reason, or could the "signal strength excellent" not be accurate?
Community Veteran

Speed issues again

If you are only 3ft away then there should be plenty of signal strength so I don't think thats the problem in your case.

I can only think that as per your original idea that either the transmitter or receiver are in some way faulty.
It may be worth as you suggested trying to get them replaced.
flicker
Grafter

Speed issues again

Update. This gets weirder by the second! I had a brainwave that I would uninstall the netgear card, and re-install just to see what happens. When I bought the wireless set-up, the tech guy at the shop set it all up for me, I just had to bring it home, plug in and go, because it was beyond my capabilities. So I went looking for the file to uninstall and could find no trace of it at all in my computer! Now it's obviously been working else I wouldn't have been able to connect at all, but according to the tutorial, I should have an icon in the tool tray showing I'm connected (I never had) and a set-up file in C:/docs/program files - I hadn't :? So anyway, I used the installation wizard and re-installed anyway, I now have the connection icon, a file that shows all the relevant information, and even better, (and excuse me whilst I cheer) constant connection speeds of over and around 942kpbs over and over, I have been checking this about every twenty minutes since about 4.30 and it's been fine. I must add though that I have also done something else, so it may not just be the card - I have unplugged the ethernet cable from the back of the modem, as I only use my desktop pc now and then, and its no problem to just plug it in when I need it, so I am not sure which one of these has fixed the problem, but I am not going to mess with it again to find out.

I am now keeping everything crossed that I have somehow sorted it, but gawd knows how! Cheesy
Community Veteran

Speed issues again

Very strange, but I'm glad you are now happy and have it working at full speed Smiley

I cant see why the ethernet cable on the main machine can cause a problem and I would be tempted to plug that back in and see if everything still works as it should :?

If it does cause an issue then you can always unplug it again.
I really think though that re-installing the drivers is what cured it but I cant understand how it could work at erratic speeds prior to the re-install.

Lets hope that it now stays working properly for you. Wink