cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed increase

topfisher
Grafter

Speed increase

If I were to get my line speed upgraded to 8Mb would my router support it.

Here are some stats

Transceiver Revision: 06.01.00
Vendor ID Code: 4
Line Mode: G.DMT-Mode
Data Path: Fast
Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 2272 288
Margin (db) 26.5 not defined
Line Attenuation (db) 10.0 not defined
Transmit Power (db/Hz) not defined not defined
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Speed increase

Hi,

The following page is usually pretty good for estimating speeds

http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

For those stats, it reckons you should get around the full 8Mbps.
N/A

Speed increase

id stay with 2mb you only get throttled by plusnet so never achieve the full 8mb anyway.

ADSL Line Capability Calculator

A crude estimate of what your line is capable of is 8192kbps (kilo bits per second).

This figure is based largely on your current Signal to Noise ratio, and current line speed. The results you may obtain in practice are likely to vary, and thus this figure should only be used to estimate your lines capability.

This is version 1.3 of the calculator, it has been slightly honed since the original version.

Version 1.4 09/03/2006 Another tweak to cut down the estimates on existing 2Mbps lines.

Version 1.3 27/02/2006 Slight tweak to how high attenuation lines are handled to iron out kink in the calculation.

Version 1.2 21/08/2005 Returns just an integer value, and the speeds suggested are slightly lower, perhaps more realistic.
NOTES

This checker will return a very different result to the checker for example at http://www.bt.com/broadband. The BT Wholesale checker is used for line qualification by BT, and uses limits that BT consider safe.

This checker provides a Max line rate for what it is believed your line may be capable of, i.e. if the ADSL modem were allowed to sync as high as it liked. This means this checker can give a vague guide as to what is capable, but there is no guarantee, phone lines can behave differently as the line speeds increase, and also the noise environment (SNR) will vary over time.

download speed 50kb/s peak time 400kb/s off peak with plusnet
topfisher
Grafter

Speed increase

Thanks very much for the help guys.
topfisher
Grafter

Speed increase

I also wanted to know if my connection would be stable with a faster line speed.