cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed frustration

Community Veteran

Speed frustration

I had a ticket open on this last week, ID: 22167277, but closed it when I just got a standard speed related reply and then the problem seemed to resolve itself, but it's occurred again over the weekend and this morning.

What is happening is that there seems to be a considerable lag between the IP Profile shown on the BT Tester and what is showing on the PlusNet Stable Rate page, so that this morning for instance, though the BT tester is showing an IP Profile of 4500 and DSL connection speed 6944, Stable Rate is set at 500, so I've got a really slow connection yet again. The last time the BT tester gave 500, as far as I'm aware, was on Saturday. Other times the IP Profile is low and the Stable Rate showing several times higher, which is somewhat misleading to say the least.

Because of the speed drops I tried the Broadband Fault Checker over the weekend but as I need to have the phone disconnected for it to be tested properly that's not really an option. I currently have the phone and Broadband router plugged into the back of the main BT socket, which gives a faster speed anyway than when they're both plugged into the front.

Now, having a look around for some more help, I read on your Broadband Speed Faults Guide that "Note: Heavy rain and other extreme weather conditions can affect the speed of your broadband connection. In some cases this may also cause connection problems. You should bear this in mind before reporting a broadband fault."(so it looks as though the Fault checker won't help anyway).

These are exactly the conditions when we have had these speed problems since going over to MaxDSL, though from last October (approx) till a month or so ago the speed fluctuations stopped and the connection kept to full speed even when there was very heavy rain. This to me points to a line problem somewhere but, if as stated, heavy rain affects the speed, does that mean that many phone lines are just not up to handling Broadband successfully and we just have to put up with appalling speed drops whenever there's heavy rain?
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
25 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Speed frustration

Hi there,

BT currently have your profile restricted to 500Kbps. This is as a result of a resync event of 576Kbps at approximately 9pm last night.

The stable rate at our end doesn't update on a real time basis, whereas obviously the BT profile does. The stable rate will update as much as twice a day.

If you're having anything like the constant deluge of rainfall that we're having up here (I'm still drenched despite a hiiden jumper and hooded winter coat!) then your resync events will probably continue until it dries up a bit!

I do sympathise with the problems that you are having, but unfortunately it is a limitation of the max service being solely dependant upon sync speeds.
Community Veteran

Speed frustration

But I did a BT test at a little before 8.00 this morning and it gave me these results:

IP profile for your line is - 4500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 6944 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during test was - 457 kbps

I did see in my router log that it lost sync at around the time you say, but by the time I noticed it had happened, the sync speed was over 6000 again.

So, there really isn't anything that can be done about this? We haven't had flooding in this area but have had several downpours over the last week or so, including one last night.
James
Grafter

Speed frustration

Hi there,

I think the BT Speedtester is a fair bit behind aswell. The stats I gave you earlier are from one of BT's systems called Actuate.

I'm happy to try bumping up your speed at this end to see if it makes any improvement. Our stable rate is taken directly from the Actuate reports.
Community Veteran

Speed frustration

Thanks, James. Stable Rate is back up to 4500 again.

Silly thing is that the drops in actual sync/connection speed only seem to last a short while and then the router resyncs and the connection is back to normal again.
James
Grafter

Speed frustration

That could just be BT reassigning a profile speed in a considerably quicker period of time, which was something on the roadmap that we were waiting for.

The reason for your actual speeds were as I mentioned before, delays with one of BT's reporting mechanisms, albeit not the one I thought it was going to be!
Community Veteran

Speed frustration

Just done the BT test as things had got sluggish again and find they've throttled me to 500kpbs.

My router stats show my WAN connection has been up for over 37 hours (i.e. without resyncing), which is around 4 hours after it was last switched on and from what I've seen the speeds have been in excess of 6000 during that time. Usually when there is a dramatic speed drop the router loses sync and this shows up in the logs and the stats.

I'm just wondering if the BT tester is even further out of sync with 'reality' than you suggested it might be; the speed on the stable rate page is still showing as 4500.
James
Grafter

Speed frustration

Hi again,

I'm fairly sure that there hasn't been any further profile changes. I've still seeing you on a 4500Kbps profile. Are you able to run the BT Speedtester?
Community Veteran

Speed frustration

I've run it this morning and it's now showing an IP Profile of 5000. (I had the router turned off overnight BTW.)

Last night's BT test at 23.56:
IP profile 500
Connection rate 448 (up) 6368 (down)
Actual IP throughput 381

This morning's BT test at 08.27:
IP profile 5000
Connection rate 448 (up) 6912 (down)
Actual IP throughput 2639

Have just run the BT test again and it gives virtually identical results as the one above.

Stable Rate page is now showing 5000, which tallies.

I can't understand last night's BT test but I saved the page and it definitely shows an IP profile of 500.
Community Veteran

Speed frustration

Since the current session of rainy days started, our connection has got even slower. Stable rate showing as 500 kbps but latest BT test showing 250 kpbs with a connection speed of 2240 and this with the router plugged into the back of the BT socket and no phones attached.

Following more disconnections since then (LCP down and mostly the only way to get reconnection seems to be rebooting the router), the speed is slower still and, if I plug an old style corded phone in, I'm getting a lot of noise including a radio station, which was what was happening last year before the line stabilised all of a sudden in the autumn.

Personally, I'm 99.9% sure the problem must be a BT one but as I've said before, they've tested the line and found nothing wrong with it.

PS When I tried to post this I lost the connection yet again. Tried everything and all that seems to fix it is to plug a phone in and do the quiet line test for an extended period and then check to see if it's connected, which has worked before, and of course it has (at a slightly more respectable speed - 3776 kbps) as I'm posting this!
James
Grafter

Speed frustration

Hi there,

Are these disconnections still ongoing now that the weather has dried up a bit, or have they now stopped occurring?
Community Veteran

Speed frustration

I last reconnected approx an hour ago at a better speed but as it's currently sunny I assume something is drying out. Earlier this morning the disconnections were very frequent and the speed appalling, following rain last night and maybe overnight too.

Have reconnected the cordless phone and the connection isn't affected, though sync speed is still only 3776 against usual sync speed of around 6000.

What to do? If BT investigate they probably won't investigate when whatever is getting wet is wet and still won't find a fault.

Ha! Spoke too soon. Tried to post this and it's disconnected again but quickly reconnected at same speed. Will try to post this again ...... now.
James
Grafter

Speed frustration

Hi again,

I would strongly advise that you raise (another) fault via http://faults.plus.net as an intermittent connection. The speed side of things will be related to this, but the fundamental problem is the loss of connectivity. If it has been down to the weather, I would doubt that it is only you in your area that is affected.
Community Veteran

Speed frustration

Thanks James. Will do.

I was hesitating as previous reporting of faults has never led anywhere other than BT saying there's nothing wrong with the line.
James
Grafter

Speed frustration

Feel free to give me a shout and I'll do some hardcore random proddage where required.