cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drop to Fileplanet

Sheepdog
Grafter

Speed drop to Fileplanet

a Couple of weeks ago I always had a steady speed of 58 - 62 for downloads from all the Fileplanet Subscriber servers now it's all gone mad 8-62 but mostly yo-yoing 58 - 12. What has happened? Nothing has changed on my machine.
512K Adsl
Pings have hit 179 to www.fileplanet.com with the big jump on tracert at
lndnuk1icx1.wcg.net 195.66.224.105 124ms
7 REPLIES
N/A

Speed drop to Fileplanet

The pings you are seeing are correct, though are high.

www.fileplanet.com is hosted in the US, for which pings will always rocket up. Data can only travel so fast.

I have just managed 112KB/s flatout on a non-subscription server (1Mb line).

My only usgestion is to wait until the 27th on June passes. Level3 are due to bring a new tran-atlantic link online, so speeds and latency may pickup from this.

It isn't so much new, but rather brought back online, after it broke last year, causing major internet disruptions for ISPs globaly.
dragona
Grafter

Speed drop to Fileplanet

i heared about that last year and i was also told that NTL had their servers based in america(or something like that) so their customers didnt have any internet Cheesy i also have another question yesterday i was getting download speeds of 100K today im getting them about 1 - 5K (Talking about Bit Torrent) there are about 16 Seeds and 127 Peers i recon i should definately be getting a higher speed than 5 K per sec

EDIT: Uploading is fine (on both Torrents) i have all the correct ports forwarded and none of the rules on my router have changed since yesterday (100K per sec)
N/A

Speed drop to Fileplanet

How long have you been waiting for the torrent to speed up?

Bit Torrent has two requirments for speed.

1: You open up incoming ports to provide better NAT busting shares.

If a Torrent is shared accross machines not accepting incoming connections, there will be no way for any seed to transmit the data.

Torrent work by both making outgoing connections to send/receive, and by accepting connections. If no hosts can accept incoming connections, then even the outgoing attempts fail

2: That you play your own part in the seeding process.

Torrents have a share ratio. Meaning you must upload X MB to have access to Y MB download.

Unless your client is willing to share, you will get very poor speeds, and on some torrent, even stall.

How much you can upload by if or not, is affected by if or not, you have the port open, willing to accept connections.

On whole, it is also dependant on the torrent itself. Some seeds may also be limited on the number of concurrent uploads.
N/A

Speed drop to Fileplanet

Don't forget that if your upload is maxed out, your download speeds will sufffer!

Limit that upload!

Google Search for ABC Bittorrent
dragona
Grafter

Speed drop to Fileplanet

everything is unlimited but ive had 100 K downloads or greater for a few days now and all of a sudden it drops :\ its dfinately not my firewall ive checked with the info hash and port numbers on this site

http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl

gives me the A-OK ive had 3 Seeds to 5 Peers and got 15 K im not sure what snubbed and choked mean but im assuming thats bad and i have aot of them on one download.
N/A

Speed drop to Fileplanet

Snubbed is when a client claims it will send a packet, and doesn't bother. They usualy remain snubbed and no longer download or upload to them until you manualy unsnub, or a time limit passes

Choked is the ratio I talked about. When you reach the download threshold, you are choked. Meaning you get none or limited data sent to you, until you start uploading more.

You can often become choked when you restart a download though can pickup between 5 to 20 mins.

Pushing more uploads will help you get un-choked.
dragona
Grafter

Speed drop to Fileplanet

they both appear to be picking up now but still not full speed i got one between 30 - 50 K and the other at 10 - 25 K thanks for your help again Cheesy