cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed does not match profile

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

I am just curious as to why the profile of my line is over 5.5mb and my down stream is over 6.5mb yet i never exceed speeds of 2.8mb. When the engineer repaired the faulty wiring outside my house he said he would expect my speeds to rise to about 5mb fairly quickly yet this has not happened,whilst i appreciate you never reach maximum speeds less than half seems a bit low.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 6528 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2715 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Whilst i am very happy that my speeds are far in excess of what i have been used to since i converted to Maxdsl i do not understand why they are not better, my profile has been like this for a week but my speed has not changed...any ideas ?
11 REPLIES
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Help needed please
mherbert
Grafter

Have you checked the status of your exchange?

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

Troubleshooting Speed Issues
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/speed_faults.shtml
N/A

If you try this

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/

What speed do you get? Its all a bit hit and miss as if you do a test and there is no one else doing it you may get a good speed but if lots of people decided to do a test at the same time then it can reduce the through put to your test.

To get it right you need to do about 3 test at different times of the day and then average it out. Make sure you aren't uploading/downloading anything at the time.
Community Veteran

WHat does connection settings -> high speed broadband say? It should be set to 5500, if its not then raise a tcket with the speed test resuklts to have it corrected.

If it does say 5500 then possible exchange or Central pipe or traffic management is slowing down the data throughput. Have you exceeded your allowance as that would cause slowdowns.
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Hi

Thanks for the replies, did another speed test much the same:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 6528 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2511 kbps

Tried mybroadbandspeed.co.uk got similars speed results

My exchange states Maxdsl enabled and condition green

Still 5 gig under my usage limit

I am set at 5500 on my settings...

Everything points to me getting better speeds but i am not ?
James
Grafter

Nothing seems to be wrong with your profile at this end, which would probably suggest that it could be down to exchange contention.

My line is profiled at 7000Kbps and I rarely get speeds much over 2000Kbps. It could just be as simple as having a busy exchange I'm afraid. Personally, I don't see an upturn in speeds on the Sheffield Cutler exchange until after 12:30/1am in the morning.

I don't like my exchange much.
kenco
Dabbler

Having just checked my exchange (EMBOURNE) it's flagged as Virtual Paths:RED and apparently has been for the past couple of weeks or so. Is there any way of chasing this up? I have noticed my connection syncs at a slightly lower speed recently (71xx something rather than 8192 iirc) and download speeds are erratic.
James
Grafter

I wouldn't see the minor change in sync speed as something to be overly concerned by. If your exchange is red, there should be an anticipated upgrade date.
James
Grafter

Which is July 20th. :/ The exchange being heavily contended will have no affect on your synchronisation speeds.

How slow are we talking regarding throughput?
kenco
Dabbler

Depending on where I download from, any speeds tbh. I apologise for not noticing the due date on the exchange checker btw Shockedops: I assume the work has been done but the page has not been updated.

I find it strange that whilst I was on dsl/2Mb I could download pretty much from anywhere in the world at a full 2Mb, every time.

I was kinda expecting the same on maxdsl/8Mb tbh.. but it's about 50/50 - updates for Windows are quick, downloading something like Winamp isn't. It's not like I'm downloading from obscure sites or anything. I've had this issue since being put onto maxdsl and raised it a couple of times before but nothing was done (if indeed, anything can be done).
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

That would appear to be OK but it was only the BT engineer saying i should hit 5mb that i have been waiting in anticipation
I am happy with my speed as constantly being above 2mb is much better than 256kpbs as i was before. Thanks for the replies