cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed changes and exchanges

N/A

im guessing youve probably got a few questions about these changes but i was wondering im on the POPLAR exchange and it says im 2.32km away on samknows and i can only recieve upto 1MB,

Is there any plans to upgrade this exchange so ill be able to recieve up to and past 2MB or can they simply not be upgraded if your too far away?

thx
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I suspect it's your distance from the exchange and line condition not the exchange that is stopping you getting 2Mb as all ADSL enabled exchanges support 2Mb speeds.

There is a limit to what speeds lines can take which is mesured as line attenuation and signal to noise figures. Each of the ADSL speeds have a corresponding maximum line attenuation figure specified by BT. If your line is above the level for a certain speed, BT won't allow you to have that speed as it is likely to not be a reliable connection.

The BT checker is using it's own database to determin your distance and thus guessing on your line condition and then telling you what speed your line should support. The BT checker is known to be very inaccurate.

See ADSL: Understanding Line Loss and measurements.

If you have a router, it may tell you your line condition. Check your manual.
N/A

so theres no chance of me getting above 1MB for a long long time then? i find this poor considering im living in london (e14), dam bt.

EDIT: Actualy i remember a few months back when i was lokoing into bulldog they said i could get upto 2MB and id be able to get the 4MB in febuary when an upgrade was taking place, but the BT thing and samknows says i cant recieve 2MB. Whys this?
Community Veteran

The BT checker is known to be very inaccurate. i.e. wrong.

It depends on your line conditions (line attenuation & signal to noise). The current limits are:

You will get 2Mb if your line attenuation is 43dB or less
You will get 1Mb if your line attenuation is between 43dB and 60dB
You will get 512K if your line attenuation is > 60dB

Signal to Noise (SNR) needs to be 10dB or higher.

If you have a router check if it shows details on line condition and if it does you can then see what speed you could get.
N/A

im using a Dg824M and i couldnt find anything in the options, guess ill have to wait and see.