cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Query

iPaqowner
Grafter

Speed Query

I am currently on the 512K Premier account and my local exchange (Strathaven) is showing Aug 2005 as the likely upgrade date.
Yesterday I noticed my connection was down and I rebooted my Netgear DG834GT and it started working again but it is now showing the downstream speed as 1152..........have I been upgraded?

When I do the PN or ADSLguide speed test it is still only reporting my 512K typical downstream speeds of 494/497etc.
I read in another post in this forum that PN can "throttle" your speed....what does this mean and do you think my connection is being "throttled"?
Should I raise a ticket or phone them?
Thanks.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Speed Query

The term throttle is used to describe an artificial limit on your speed if you like. If you give PN a call and ask them to lift the throttle they will do so, you will then need to reboot your router again and your upgrade will be complete.
iPaqowner
Grafter

Speed Query

Thanks for the quick reply. So would you agree that it's likely the exchange upgrade has happened?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed. Please don't use ALL of a preceding post as a quote.
Community Veteran

Speed Query

I think it's more than likely, I'm 99.9999999% sure it's happend!
iPaqowner
Grafter

Speed Query

I think it's more than likely, I'm 99.9999999% sure it's happend!

Thanks Daniel..........it has happened. I raised a "Contact Us" ticket with them last night and this morning received the following

"Dear Mr Currie,
I have now changed the speed on your account to 1Meg. Please try disconnecting and reconnecting for the new speed to be effective."

I am now on 1meg........woohoo!!!
Community Veteran

Speed Query

No prob's I sometimes wish there was a button to press with the info about unthrottling stock answer sort of thing. Not that i begrudge answering the question but it gets asked so much! Anyway enjoy your new speed.
N/A

Speed Query

I noticed something exactly the same a few days back. My connection speed is showing as 1152 but speed-tests show a 512 connection still. I've raised a ticket in hope that they release my 'throttle'.

1 thing though, if my exchange has been upgraded then i was hoping for more than just 1mb, or is that the best i'm going to get. A friend who lives a few streets away already receives 1mb before any possible exchange was upgraded !?
N/A

Speed Query

I have the same problem Liddington, tried to get PN to do a woosh test, they refuse, even though my router stats suggest 2M ok. So I have asked ADSL Guide, waiting for their response. I am not expecting them to do it yesterday, so I am waiting willingly.
iPaqowner
Grafter

Speed Query

I noticed something exactly the same a few days back. My connection speed is showing as 1152 but speed-tests show a 512 connection still. I've raised a ticket in hope that they release my 'throttle'.

1 thing though, if my exchange has been upgraded then i was hoping for more than just 1mb, or is that the best i'm going to get. A friend who lives a few streets away already receives 1mb before any possible exchange was upgraded !?

I would certainly like 2meg if possible but is it not the case that if you were on 512k you got a free upgrade to 1meg....if you were on 1meg you got a free upgrade to 2meg and so on?
Or is it a case of you get the fastest speed your exchange/line is capable of?
Maybe someone could clarify this?
Thanks.
N/A

Speed Query

I'm pretty sure its as fast as your line/exchange is capable of!

Someone correct me if im wrong though.
N/A

Speed Query

Aa Liddington says, or rather the fastest that BT say you can get, which is not always correct. Sad