Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issue Query (Again)

Gibble
Grafter

Hey

I never had a bad word to say about plusnet and recently i understand alot has been happening however in the past 2weeks or so i noticed a speed issue with my usenet program.

Is there a limit when using USENET from another USENET provider?

If not how can i stop this i keep getting maxium 100kb/s it starts of at max and then goes down.

Thanks in advance

Edit: Just done a speed test and at the momment my max is 40kb/sHuh
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

All usenet traffic passing though Plusnet's network may be subject to traffic shaping and slowdows. How much depends on the product you are on ad time of day. It does not matter where your usenet connection comes from as it will still go via PlusNet to/from you.

How the traffic shaping affects your speeds is totally dependant on how full (i.e. congested) the BT centrals pipes are. When they start reaching their capacity, the traffic shaping is higher and usenet / P2P speeds are lower.
Gibble
Grafter

I'm on the 4meg premier (which thinking of changing) so i can get 2meg on a 30:1 rentension my speeds are hitting rock bottom on alot of things.
Community Veteran

Downgrade to the 2mbs product (you have 1 free downgrade available) and save yourself £8/month. The 4 & 8Mbs products are unlikely to see the light of day before Q1 2006 so you are paying for a service that does not exist yet.
Gibble
Grafter

When 4meg comes, can i just change back to £30 and get it?
Community Veteran

Yes, for a one-off fee which will probably be £14.99, which you will save within 2 months of downgrading.
Gibble
Grafter

So i just go and "Change me product" as it does say " Please note that moving between Broadband products may incur a one off regrade fee" so how can i be sure they won't charge me.

Also once again my speeds are okay, got a funny feeling they'll drop after an hour like i'm being capped or something.
N/A

Downgrade to the 2mbs product (you have 1 free downgrade available) and save yourself £8/month.

If I may point out (hoping I have got it right), and of course it may make no difference to the original poster because they night be a light user but if you are on the "up to 4mbs" account you do get a more generous peak time transfer limit under the new SUP policy 45 Gb as opposed to 30Gb before any warning emails are sent.
Community Veteran

Just raise a normal ticket stating you want to use your 1 free downgrade.