cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Increase

N/A

Speed Increase

Hi boys & gals,

Can anyone explain why my download speeds have shot up in the past week or so.

My readings on +Net meter have gone from the mid 480's ( which I was very happy with anyway) to giddy speeds of 500's (last reading was 515.50kbps/ 64.44KB/sec).

Is this possible, since it means that I'm surpassing the theoretical limit, with no overheads/speed loss between my pc and +Net servers.

Even on other speed tests such as ADSLguide, I've gone from a regular 476 to 478. and on Mcafee I get a constant 62.7.

Is this down to some genius and super kit at +Net or is there less traffic on the net at the moment.

By the way my settings are MTU:1430 RWIN:13900 and the rest at default.

Many thanks +Net.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Speed Increase

No online speed test site will ever be as accurate as a average reading taken from a large download from a known good ftp server. The speed test site probably wasn't being used by anyone else or your browser is caching the file quicker. I remember just after getting ADSL and the PN speed test reported a 10mbit speed so they do throw out special speeds sometimes :lol:
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Speed Increase

Maybe something to do with the new seventh 155mb pipeline? Cheesy
N/A

Speed Increase

Try downloading a big file, from a fast uk server.

http://gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyondergames/enemyterritory/patches/win32/wolfet.exe

Download that game, and see what your speeds are.
Ianwild
Grafter

Speed Increase

Pretty fast for me too:

:lol:
keithcalder
Grafter

Speed Increase

Holy Sh*t, I want that, I want that....

[Moderator's note (by acarr): Removed quote. It was the post before and expanded the window un-needingly]
kissack
Grafter

Speed Increase

Ian, that's not fair
Cry
N/A

Speed Increase

He's just showing off, not his fault :lol:

Uhhmm, maybe when I can persuade work to pay for a Bulldog 'Primetime' 6Mbps connection at home, I'll maybe comeback to this forum to post the results just for Ian :twisted:

Rispek 2 +Net Cheesy .
N/A

Speed Increase

He's just showing off, not his fault :lol:

Uhhmm, maybe when I can persuade work to pay for a Bulldog 'Primetime' 6Mbps connection at home, I'll maybe comeback to this forum to post the results just for Ian :twisted:

Rispek 2 +Net Cheesy .

Even with the 6Mbps - your speeds wont be that fast, you'll be able to download at around 768kbp/s

I think.
N/A

Speed Increase

Could it be to do with BT fixing the MTU problem ?

I had an e-mail from plus net not long ago saying I should reset my MTU to default. I should imagine everyone else got it aswell.

BTW I am getting just over 58 Kb/Sec downloading wolfet from the above link.
N/A

Speed Increase

Could it be to do with BT fixing the MTU problem ?

I had an e-mail from plus net not long ago saying I should reset my MTU to default. I should imagine everyone else got it aswell.

BTW I am getting just over 58 Kb/Sec downloading wolfet from the above link.

I get 60.6 Cheesy
N/A

Speed Increase

Mine must be getting stuck in traffic on the M1 or M42 somewhere hehe.

Bill
N/A

Speed Increase

Not to shabby here