cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Drop ??

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Speed Drop ??

I am not the brightist spark when it comes to computer tech like a car i drive it but only have a rough idea how it works, thought i would check my speed as everything seems a bit slow and it registered 262.3kb i presume that is about a qtr of a gig if thats the case why should it start running so slowly, i have had an issue with a noisy line but thats clear at the time i ran the speed check so what could be the reason for the slow speed Huh

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Changed from all caps title, as per the link:rules
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Speed Drop ??

If you have a noisy line your modem/router will sync at a lower speed. BT then sets your IP Profile at a speed at which it thinks your line is stable which will be around your lowest sync speed.

Only after 3-4 days of consistent syncing at higher speeds will BT raise your IP profile and you then start to see faster speeds again. But one low sync again and you are back to the beginning.

You need to give getting the noise sorted out your top priority.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Speed Drop ??

Hi
Thanks for your response, however my speed goes up during the off peak times ie during the day and drops dramatically in the evening at the moment at 2.34pm i was on 1.9 gig but tonight it will be about 262kb So i am not sure if what you say applies to my problem...
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Speed Drop ??

There i go down to 272kb tonight in the morning it will be back up to 1.8 meg. Could someone tell me why this is happening Huh?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Speed Drop ??

Hi,

Have you checked your usage? Take a look at View My Usage under connection settings on the left. Broadband Plus has a peak time allowance of 4GB so I'd recommend upgrading to either PAYG or Premier.
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Speed Drop ??

My usage is high this month but last month i only used 1 gig i suppose it doesnt count if the last two years my usage has been well under my allowance.....Also why do i have usage for b/b phone calls when i dont make any (34.79 mb) and also i have done no gaming this month and yet there is 568.52 mb on my usage Huh
I feel usage should be done on an average not just a busy month when i probably have used 250 - 300 gig less than my allowance since i joined...
I also seem to recall one of the reasons i went to PN was the blurb of unlimited downloads which is not true if there is a limit.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Speed Drop ??

Unfortunately the usage needs to be done on a monthly basis rather than an average since you started, this allows us to manage the network more effectively.

Broadband Plus is described as an entry level product and is not advertised as unlimited downloads, no product can be truly unlimited due to the way broadband is delivered.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team