cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed AGAIN

donj53
Grafter

Speed AGAIN

Is this a joke because if it is I dont get it.I'm away a day and its back to the good old under 1Mb.I am totally sick of this and cant see why plusnet cant just supply what they sell.Any other business would be investigated by trading standards and fined for this.

BT speedtest
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 914 kbps

Going into the help they blame contention at the exchange.Convenient as thats not their fault.
8 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

Speed AGAIN

Certainly nothing this end that should be causing slow speeds like that on Web Browsing.

I'd advise checking your exchange VP status at http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges as a first point of call.

Then I'd try somewhere like the speedtester at http://www.thinkbroadband.com - what do you get there?

If it's around the same, and your exchange shows green - then raise a Speed fault at http://faults.plus.net

If your exchange shows Red then this is likely to be the cause of your problems.
N/A

Re: Speed AGAIN

Is this a joke because if it is I dont get it.I'm away a day and its back to the good old under 1Mb.I am totally sick of this and cant see why plusnet cant just supply what they sell.Any other business would be investigated by trading standards and fined for this.

BT speedtest
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 914 kbps

Going into the help they blame contention at the exchange.Convenient as thats not their fault.

Where have you been, I was like you months ago blaming everything from..... my equipment, download program, America being awake, seeders etc etc for poor download speeds, and it wasn't until I came onto the forum and realised many also had similar problems, and most of the problems originate from Plusnet.
Liam
Grafter

Speed AGAIN

Bfrbaker, what are your issues? HTTP browsing speeds certainly should be higher than 900kbps on an 8Mb line.

What is your own exchange status? Have you tried a BT Speedtester.
N/A

Speed AGAIN

Thank you for replying.....been there and done it, and it's that old chestnut P2P, torrents etc.....downloading from Microsoft and I can get just over 500kb/sec and other companies can be around 250kb/sec for downloading updates etc for programs.

Well I have been reading all the threads and PN admit they are not happy with P2P so all I would like to know as a customer is:- Is it going to improve and when, are we looking at 2 months, 6 months, a year or never as I don't want to leave PN but there comes a time....................

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Removed full quote of preceding post as per the link:rules
N/A

Speed AGAIN

Hi, just wanted to add that my speeds are appauling at the moment too. Web pages are extremly slow to load, and I'm getting pings of 2000-3000ms on games.

I'm on the Premier option 1 up to 8mb service:

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1169055841&v=511509

My ticket ID, if anyone at Plusnet wants a look:
ID: 21089614
N/A

Speed AGAIN

I've noticed the speed drop on web browsing too tonight. OK, I'm tragically used to seeing Usenet at close to modem speed (the only time it seems to run faster in Saturday and Sunday morning before 10am), and uploading to web sites is ridiculous (I realise that this has been picked up on now), but tonight I went to Apple's main site, which usually loads in an instant, and watched each part of the page draw bit by bit, just like it did in the old pre-broadband days. I downloaded a file - used to get a 2 meg plus speed and it was 25kbps.
donj53
Grafter

Speed AGAIN

All I really want is a consistent 2Mbit and then I'd accept the wild swings.One day a steady 5Mbit next day 2Mbit and upwards.It's the 87kb and the 964kb I dont like.
donj53
Grafter

Speed AGAIN

A new record 24kbit/s.Amazingly after running the checker and being told to go away because the exchange has high contention my speed starts to go up to almost a 1Mbit connection.