cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed 1.7 meg this morning, 30kbps now???

bikepump
Grafter

Hello all,

Yet another poster with speed problems....but not all the time!

I've had varying speeds for a month or two now ... i checked this morn with the PN speed checker and got 1.7 meg , checked again just now and got 36kbps. This has been the case for a while now as you can see .....

Linky to image...

I'm on a 2 meg line, with an ADsl linksys WAG54GS.

I've had no problems for a year or two .... but now im getting this.

I've fault checked with BT ... no problem.

I've fault checked with PN ... exchange is RED.

What can i do about this? If anything?

Thanks, bikepump Smiley

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Changed [img] tags to [url] as the images was stretching the page. Wink
15 REPLIES
N/A

Hi bikepump,

I presume that your exchange capacity status being RED is where PlusNet's fault checker bails out with a "not our problem"?

Whilst there is a remote possibility that your exchange status could be the cause, in my opinion it's pretty unlikely that it would cause speeds of 36kbps - you'd have to have all 50 contended users, all connected at 2Mbps, and all downloading simultaneously to be constricted to <40kbps - unlikely I think.

It seems that there are quite a few people having very similar issues at the moment.

PlusNet ought to be saying "O.K. there could be a problem here - we are looking into it" - but they seem to prefer to take the approach that they are the last possible place to look.

Wish I could help, but I've already had my question/fault dismissed by them without any resolution of the problem - zero marks out of ten for their service speed, and zero marks out of ten for their support team's handling of the problem.

I can only wish you good luck!

Mark H.
bikepump
Grafter

Could a plus.net member of staff comment on this please?
N/A

Same problem with me

After a couple of years of problem free connections, I’ve been experiencing the same thing for a few months now.

Sometimes I get 1mb, but mostly it drops to 100k. For about 1 day my exchange was condition red, PlusNet support saw it, but then it went green. As I type this it’s 130k download and 265k upload!

I’ve been through the formal test process a few times, but each time I get nowhere, miraculously the speed went up to 1mb during the last test process a couple of weeks only to revert to 100k or so a couple of days.

I’ve now given up, maybe the problem is the last mile (I’m quite a way from the exchange and my neighbour reports problems with his BT ADSL link), maybe it’s the exchange, maybe PlusNet. I guess it will get fixed one day. I’m not happy, but don’t have any expectation that another ISP will be any better and the PlusNet ADSL I have installed at work, performs well as it appears to do for various people to whom I have recommended PlusNet.
N/A

Me too - first few months with Plusnet were lovely but since October its been mostly around 150kbps with a few days of 5Mbps, but each fault logged gets dropped every time the speed briefly rises - I'm trying to get it fixed but the question process is like talking to a brick wall. Cry
N/A

I'm on ADSL Max and usually get around 960kbps/360kbps. I live a long way from my exchange so this is OK for me.Over the last week my speeds have really fallen.At the moment I'm getting 126kbps/87kbps.
N/A

Ive had this for over 6 months at least. I get between 4mb and 300k. Its disappointing this hasnt been resolved yet. This has been a consistent problem with plus. Sort it out.
bikepump
Grafter

As i requested previously, could a PN member of staff or forum mod please comment else i am having serious thoughts about switching ISP's
flicker
Grafter

You and me both, you and me both! Mine isn't quite as bad, but still driving me potty. Funny how it's fine in the morning, and fine after 10.30 pm isn't it? :roll:

01-02-2007 22:55:49 1990.9
01-02-2007 19:20:53 132.8
01-02-2007 19:19:57 132.8
01-02-2007 08:32:13 1946.6
N/A

Traffic shaping anyone?

Maybe PN are experimenting with new ways to not give us a smooth, invisible service.

:roll:
N/A

As i requested previously, could a PN member of staff or forum mod please comment else i am having serious thoughts about switching ISP's

If your exchange is showing as RED, it means that one or more of the VP's (Virtual Paths) are above the targets/limits that BTw try to maintain.

What this means is that customers connected to a particularly congested VP will likely experience dramatic reduction in speed - however the speed will fluctuate, as although the VP may be congested some of the time, there will also be periods when not all of the customers provisioned through that particular VP are on-line and using their connections.

To add a bit more confusion into the mix; Each exchange may have a number of VP's available, if one of them is tagged as 'RED' then the entire exchange is 'RED' even though the majority of connections through it could be absolutely fine.

The bad news;

There's nothing really that you, or PN can do about it, you just have to wait for BT to upgrade the DSLAM that you connect through.

The good news;

BT are supposedly embarking on a huge project to complete maintenance work on almost all of the country's exchanges within the next 8 weeks.

You can read more, and view the timetable here

One thing to note on the timetable Liam provides, as there can be multiple DSLAM's per exchange, I would bank on the furthest one out for your exchange as being a likely fix date, rather than the first (the work in my exchange for example, stretches over 7 days)
N/A

I just checked my exchange and it's green. I then did the BT speedtest and it says

IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 1312 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 484 kbps

This is better than I've been getting especially considering it's sometimes around 100 kbps D/L but I usually get about 970 kbps D/L so something isn't right.

Of course I'm sure it's nothing to do with Plusnet because it's never their fault, it's always someone else.
I'm getting similar to what I got before I went DSL Max.
N/A

I'm having a winge on another thread also but have a look at this:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 6688 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 579 kbps

Coming up a bit short i would say!
N/A

I expect it's the lasting glow of long gone Xmas lights that are causing your shortfall.

Or your modem is knacked, or the line is rubbish, or you live too far from the exchange or well, just make something up. That's what PN seem to do.

Short of an answer after several days? Just stall the customer by telling him he hasn't done a speed test in the last few minutes. GRRRR!!!!!
N/A

Do electrons slow down when its cold? :lol: