cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam / Bounced Email Backscatter Issues!

SimonZerafa
Dabbler

Hi,

I have a Plusnet hosted domain and this evening I have started receiving "backscatter" e-mails to non-existent mailboxes addresses on that domain.

These e-mails appear to be bounced messaged from other spam sent elsewhere that are arriving to my domain.

Other than redirecting those specific not existent addresses to blackhole@abuse.plus.com what else can I do to stop this?

Is there an e-mail preference to reject all e-mail unless addressed to a mailbox which DOES exist e.g. the opposite of the catchall address?

If not can we have this feature please! :-)

I also note that the catchall configuration feature is not available. Is this by design or another issue to be fixed?

Kind Regards

Simon
3 REPLIES
N/A

Dont forget the new system comes online tomorrow so most of these wont reach your mailbox but go into a spam box on your webmail and deleted after 30 days.

Assuming you have signed up for the free service.

I had the same thing on my domain I was getting 1000 mails per day but it did stop after time
SimonZerafa
Dabbler

Hi,

Well that's part of the issue. These are not spam as such because they look like legitimate bounced messages. The spam filter is not catching them.

I doubt that the spam filter can be trained to catch them as it's seems to be having enough of an issue with "genuine" spam let alone something as complex as backscatter bounced messages.

Regards

Simon
N/A

This already exists. If you switch off your catchall mailbox then this will mean you don't get the bounces (or any messages) except where the message is spoofed to appear from one of the mailboxes you have created.

The only other thing you can do to help prevent this is to vote for the implimentation of SPF on the PlusNet platform. This will mean that mail apparently sent from PlusNet addresses will only be accepted by mail providers also using SPF if it comes from a PlusNet server.