cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something puzzling me!

flicker
Grafter

Something puzzling me!

I am new to ADSL (very obvious) There's one thing that I don't quite understand yet, in that I thought one of the advantages of having broadband was that it "is always on" i.e. I wouldn't have to dial up the same as when I had 56k modem in use? This is not the case however, and until just now (typically) I have been dialling up the new Voyager modem, and having to wait longer to connect than I was with my old ISP. Is this correct - silly me just assumed that as soon as you boot up the computer, the connection is automatically there? Someone put me right please! :? Smiley
3 REPLIES
N/A

Something puzzling me!

"Always on" is the definition used to state that the service is always available on demand (with the exception of connection problems and maintenance), with no further costs relating to the actual connection, and time you use it.

Different modems use different ments to connect. Many USB and PCI modems still use the dial-up feature of windows. This is actualy good, as it allow you to maintain security of when you are connected.
holdtight
Grafter

Something puzzling me!

Yes the ADSL line is always on, right up to your modem which is why you have to dial up because you are using a dsl modem which has to go through the dial up process before it will connect,
if you where using a router you would just boot up your pc and start browsing,

what you can try if you do want it to be on although it does not always work is right click and hold down on your dialup icon which i assume is on your desktop and drag it to the startup folder by holding it over start for a second or two then into all programs and then startup once there release the mouse key and select move here
now your modem should dial as soon as windows boots
if it doesnt work or youd rather change it back just right click on it again drag it to the desktop and select move here again
flicker
Grafter

Something puzzling me!

Thank you Smiley
I have also just realised that I should have set it to my default dial-up too instead of using the desktop shortcut -its miles faster to use the windows dial-up box
Ta Cheesy

PS that's why I chose Dumbo for my avatar :roll: