cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some websites and MSN not working?

N/A

Hello there!

Hope fully should be a really easy one to sort! I've just set up a wireless network with the g604t adsl router and 4 laptops. I'm having some problems accessing some websites - for example www.ebay.co.uk and www.hotmail.com. now this seems to be only for 'some' websites as on the same computer i can access sites such as www.google.co.uk, www.plus.net and nearly all others. Also, as yet i cant sign in to MSN or Windows Messenger, again thats something to do with the connection.

Not sure if its something to do with the router and access rights or whether its software related. I'm very computer literate but dont know all that much about wireless networking. Let me know if you need to know any details.

Help much appreciated, many thanks,
Richard
6 REPLIES
N/A

Can't sign in to MSNHuh Surely you should be saying YAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
N/A

Well you know, all the friends are on there so i dont have much of a choice in the matter! plus when friends come over and want to sign in and stuff etc.

Anyone had this problem before? think of any logical reason behind it? it just doesn't make sense to me, but possibly to do with websites redirecting you coz the windows update website doesn't work either.

I'm baffled, please help.
Richard
Community Veteran

Make sure all PCs and your router are usng the same MTU value. Differences can cause issues with accessing some sites and not others.

Your router should have somewhere where the MTU can be specified. See the MTU tweak thread for info on changing your laptops MTU and RWIN values.

Tweaking MTU and RWIN can also improve your transfer speeds so try experimenting with some examples given in that thread ans see if it improves. Remember to reboot both router and PCs whenever you make a change.
N/A

I found out that the default MTU for winxp pppoa is 1500 so that will be what all the laptops are, but the router is set to 1400. Below are the broadbandreports.com tweak test results when run with the router MTU set at 1400 and 1500.

Results with router MTU set to 1400:

1. Your Tweakable Settings:
Receive Window (RWIN): 17520
Window Scaling: off
Path MTU Discovery: ON
RFC1323 Window Scaling: OFF
RFC1323 Time Stamping: OFF
Selective Acks: ON
MSS requested: 1460
TTL: unknown
TTL remaining: 114
2. Test 146000 byte download
Actual data bytes sent: 146000
Actual data packets: 101
Max packet sent (MTU): 1492
Max packet recd (MTU): 1500
Retransmitted data packets: 0
sacks you sent: 0
pushed data pkts: 15
data transmit time: 1.744 secs
our max idletime: 139.0 ms
transfer rate: 63747 bytes/sec
transfer rate: 509 kbits/sec
This is not a speed test!
transfer efficiency: 100%

Results with router MTU set to 1500:

1. Your Tweakable Settings:
Receive Window (RWIN): 17520
Window Scaling: off
Path MTU Discovery: ON
RFC1323 Window Scaling: OFF
RFC1323 Time Stamping: OFF
Selective Acks: ON
MSS requested: 1460
TTL: unknown
TTL remaining: 114
2. Test 146000 byte download
Actual data bytes sent: 148920
Actual data packets: 113
Max packet sent (MTU): 1500
Max packet recd (MTU): 1500
Retransmitted data packets: 4
sacks you sent: 1
pushed data pkts: 15
data transmit time: 1.543 secs
our max idletime: 131.0 ms
transfer rate: 70068 bytes/sec
transfer rate: 560 kbits/sec
This is not a speed test!
transfer efficiency: 98%

This hasn't solved my initial problem - i still cannot access hotmail or ebay or log into MSN messenger but it seems to be fine just generally around the web . Is there anything special about these sites? do they do something different that i dont know about? is it something to do with ports and apart from 80, do websites use any other ports?

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated!
Rich
N/A

We bs sites do use other ports, but you need to be careful if you're thinking of opening ones up. Most standard configs handle the usual ports fine. It's unlikely that your problem is port related.

Do you get a specific error when the sites you mention won't load? If so can you post the message?

I did a web search and this http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/news.php?id=58708 is the only indication I can find of any "official" problems reported

Good luck
N/A

edit