Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some questions re upgrading

Claremac
Grafter

Hi
I am currently on the 512k Home Surf account and paying £18.74 per month with one referral. Looking at the prices of the 1Mb and 2 Mb accounts it will obviously be a good idea to upgrade but I have a few questions before I go ahead. How do I work out what "cap" figure to go for? I don't do a lot of downloading, mainly surfing but I leave my PC online for long periods. Does just being online use bandwidth?
Which brings me to my second question - if I upgraded from 512k to 2 Mb would I notice a difference in speed when surfing or would it just be in downloading?
Sorry if my questions are a bit daft but I need to work out what I'm doing before I take the plunge. Thanks for any help.

Regards
Clare
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Click connection settings, then view my usage to show current month and clicking the link on the bottom of that page, the previous months. This will tell you your usage and thsu the best package for you.

Any activity on your ADSL line is added to your usage figure, and it includes data tramsmitted in either direction. If you have things like MSN messanger and an email client running, thyey will periodicaly use bandwidth to check the servers etc. Any port scans on your IP address will also add to your usage figure.

Yes, you would see a speed increase in surfing and downloading running at 2Mb as it is 4x faster than your current speed. However it does depend on how well websites you visit can transmit data to you so while it should speed things up, sometimes websites are slow.
Claremac
Grafter

Thanks Peter. I have checked my usage and it (rather confusingly) shows Jul-Jul 0.04Gb, Jul-Aug 0.71GB and Aug-Aug 0.0Gb. I'm assuming that the fact that I was away for 2 1/2 weeks from August 12th has distorted the figures somewhat so if I take the 0.71 as a norm then I would probably be OK with 1Gb. I don't use Messenger abut I have Mailwasher running to check on my email. I'll have another look and then decide between 1Mb or 2Mb although I'm inclined to go for the latter as it's only a couple of pounds more. Thanks for your help.

Regards
Clare
Community Veteran

No, it's a known bug with the history summary (which I hope they fix soon for people like you). The only real figure to go on is the middle one (0.71).

I suspect 2GB is probably the best one as 0.71 is close to the 1GB limit. I often find people will start to use more over time. Even if you did choose the 1GB limit, it would only cost an additional £2.00 (1Mb) or £2.10 (2Mb) per extra GB over your usage limit.
Claremac
Grafter

I think you're right about the 2 Gb so I'm going for the 2Mb line. I think I'll wait until the weekend though before I put the order in just in case my line gets tested under the old limit and there's any problem. I'm sure I can be patient a couple more days! Thanks again.

Regards
Clare