cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solwise SAR110

N/A

Solwise SAR110

Recieved the new router yesterday, and all seems well. No more of the annoying LCP Retransmission Time Outs either. Good job PlusNet, I doubt many other ISP's would have gone so far as to send out replacement routers.

However, I have a few questions about the SAR110.

I noticed that the old 3COM 612 came back as Invisible, at least on all major ports, if someone port scanned my IP. However, out of curiosity I used the same port probe test on GRC on the SAR110, and was surprised to see that the http, telnet and ftp ports came back as open and that people outside my LAN can access the config for the router (if they know the pass, that is). I thought this would only be the case if I had IGMP turned on, which I dont?

Should I be worried about this, and if so, is there a way to close these ports?

I reckon Im probably worrying too much about it, but Im not an expert on routers, so... Smiley

Thanks,

Colin
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Solwise SAR110

> Recieved the new router yesterday, and all seems well. No more of the annoying LCP Retransmission Time Outs either. Good job PlusNet, I doubt many other ISP's would have gone so far as to send out replacement routers.
>
> However, I have a few questions about the SAR110.
>
> I noticed that the old 3COM 612 came back as Invisible, at least on all major ports, if someone port scanned my IP. However, out of curiosity I used the same port probe test on GRC on the SAR110, and was surprised to see that the http, telnet and ftp ports came back as open and that people outside my LAN can access the config for the router (if they know the pass, that is). I thought this would only be the case if I had IGMP turned on, which I dont?
>
> Should I be worried about this, and if so, is there a way to close these ports?
>
> I reckon Im probably worrying too much about it, but Im not an expert on routers, so... Smiley
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Colin

I'm just starting out with this myself and know very little about the subject, but have you seen this article? It goes into this very subject and may be a help...

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2003/q1/sar_110.asp
N/A

Thanks. Smiley

Got those ports blocked now. Was surprised they werent blocked by defualt though...

What worries me though, many lesser experienced users wont even change the defualt username/password let alone block these ports. How big a danger is that?

Colin
N/A

> Thanks. Smiley
>
> Got those ports blocked now. Was surprised they werent blocked by defualt though...
>
> What worries me though, many lesser experienced users wont even change the defualt username/password let alone block these ports. How big a danger is that?
>
>
> Colin

Indeed - and just imagine the millions of people sold PCs on the high street who are told a virus checker is all they need! ZoneAlarm for everyone!
--
The corn was orient and immortal wheat...
N/A

Glad you have got your router and it works OK.

How did you check your ports (ie do a port scan of your IP address)? I would like to, but don't know where to go, is there a website to use?

Regarding your SAR110 router, I have received one now, but can't get it to work! I can talk to it and configure it, but I can't ping the DNS servers (or anywhere else), the router reports destination net unreachable. Did you do anything difgferent to what the quickstart guide on their website says?

Thanks

Mark

> Recieved the new router yesterday, and all seems well. No more of the annoying LCP Retransmission Time Outs either. Good job PlusNet, I doubt many other ISP's would have gone so far as to send out replacement routers.
>
> However, I have a few questions about the SAR110.
>
> I noticed that the old 3COM 612 came back as Invisible, at least on all major ports, if someone port scanned my IP. However, out of curiosity I used the same port probe test on GRC on the SAR110, and was surprised to see that the http, telnet and ftp ports came back as open and that people outside my LAN can access the config for the router (if they know the pass, that is). I thought this would only be the case if I had IGMP turned on, which I dont?
>
> Should I be worried about this, and if so, is there a way to close these ports?
>
> I reckon Im probably worrying too much about it, but Im not an expert on routers, so... Smiley
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Colin

N/A

You can go to http://grc.com/default.htm and click on Shields Up. Then after that check has finished click on Probe My Ports.
PhillipH
Grafter

hello

i have the oposite problem.

i need my router to open port number 4000

this is because i want ppl to access my MUD (multi user dungeon) which is on my pc - when im on dial up - everything is fine and they can connect. its oly when im using my adsl (router) that they cant connect.

if its a router problem who and where do i solve it?

thanks