cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solwise SAR110/DLink 624+ compatibility?

N/A

Hello!
I have a solwise110 which was supplied with my Plusnet starter pack.
It works fine but then I bought a D-link 624+ wireless router for wireless operation.
Basically I want 2 pc's wired and 2 laptops wireless sharing broadband through the Solwise and Dlink, with the Dlink configured so access is by entering a password
However they are both routers( I should have simply got an access point)
and there's a bit of fiddling around with the configurations before they work.
At the mo I have the Solwise ethernet out going out to a Netgear Hub,
2 pc's are plugged into the hub and the Dlink is also connected to the hub on default setting on for wireless to but I want to get into the dlink to configure it for passwords and WEP but I think it conflicts with the Solwise router Config Setup.

Can anybody help? Cool
9 REPLIES
the_norris
Grafter

Hi

You should be able to get them to work together - need a bit of thinking.

Firsly can you answer the following questions so i'm in a better positsion to help.

1) what version of the Dlink is it? Check able on bottom of router - 'H/W: ?' this will be a letter and a number. See URL http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=6#manual

2) I take it the Solwise router is mainly in default config - Eg IP addressing - DHCP to assgin IPs to LAN in range 192.168.7.X - check this on the to PCs connected via hub. and that these work ok? Eg access Internet ok.

3) does the laptops via wireless pick up an IP address from the dlink? ok? What is the IPs given? on 2000 or XP - goto Start/RUN then type 'cmd' then click ok.
This loads a command line window- type there :

IPCONFIG /ALL

this will show the Machines IP details. Note to exit this type 'exit'

Phil
N/A

thanks for reply phil!

Internet access is fine going off the Solwise default settings.The default gateway is 192.168.7.1 . The wired ethernet pc's IP's are just different digits at the end eg.192.168.7.3/5/7.
The DLINK bit on the bottom saysH/W Ver.:A1
F/W Ver.:1.01
When I tried wireless from my W2K laptop it connected to Default ssid and at times it disconnected like when the sleep function came on,when I woke it up there was no connection and needed to fiddle about rescanning(not that it did any good??) til it came on again.
Unfortunately one day the hard drive on the laptop suddenly became unrecognised and my wireless exploits have shuddered to a halt since it won't even boot up properly therefore didn't get round to the config/all bit of your advice.
Workin on sorting that out now and then I'll test again,however it would still be nice to configure the dlink in the meantime to get it ready
the_norris
Grafter

Ok. thanks for the info

Currectly at work so do not have the info to help now - But I need to know how you access the DLink config - IP address - webbrowser access? Is this via the PCs connect via the hub?

Phil
N/A

that's the problem,I havn't managed it yet via the hub.
Also because the browser address is the same default as the solwise.
So I guess I got to change the adress for the solwise?
the_norris
Grafter

Hi

This is just a quick reply so you don't thing i've forgot. Also will create a detailed instruction list for you. But the basic thing you will be doing is follow:

1) change IP address of Dlink to new IP range. Assign IP 192.168.7.2 to WAN of Dlink

2) update Dlink's DHCP IP pool detail to provide new IP range to clients (wireless)

3) connect WAN port of Dlink to Hub.

4) set up a static route on the solwise for route back to dlink and for new IP range on dLink .

As I've got the manula for both routers now - can get full details for uo now.
Might have to watch until tonight when i get home from work.

Phil
N/A

I salute you for being such a gent!
the_norris
Grafter

Change of plan - as agreed on PM.

New connection /setup like this:

ADSL Line>>>Solwise>>>>Dlink>>>>Hub and wireless

Solwise router will not act at a ADSL modem passing the WAN IP (PlusNet assigned IP) thourgh to the WAN side of the DLINK. The Dlink will now be the main router.

Instructions
Read though first before doing, you need to download some info from the net.

First make sure one PC gets its IP detail via DHCP and it patched up and has a a virus checker. This PC will be exposd to the internet directly - but only for a small amount of time when setting the setup up.

Connect this PC directly to the Solwise. So the setup will be:

ADSL Line>>>>Solwise>>>>PC

Now forward the instructions on this website to setup ZIPB mode.
http://www.chrismarsh.co.uk/sar110/zipb.asp
Credit: to Chris Marsh - Excellent website for the solwise.
Note: this does setup a second LAN for PCs on the solwise - may be handy to have this setup just in case the DLINK goes bang.

When this has been completed - you PC should get the PlusNet IP - so now direct ly connected to the internet - see why I said you need to make sure your PC is updated with virus/patches etc. Test to see if you can surf the web here before continuing.

Now connect the setup like this:

ADSL Line>>>Solwise>>>>Dlink>>>PC

Take a connection from the solwise LAN port to the WAM port of the Dlink.. Then connect your PC to the LAN port of the Dlink.

Now your should be able to connect ot the DLink via yuor web browser to address http://192.168.0.1 (default IP ) Don't use the wizard in the Dlink.

If you need more info just say. You may fine the PC now can surf the web any way now.
N/A

First thank you kindly,secondly how do you do this?- "make sure one PC gets its IP detail via DHCP"
I know it sounds a bit wimpy but it looks a bit daunting,my main fear being that goin online is good now but if after the procedure I cant even get one pc online I might just die!
But I'll give it a goSmiley
the_norris
Grafter

Sorry if i was not clear.

The normal way PCs get there IP address on your LAN (Network) is either you assigning a IP address manually or the PC can pickup a address from the router.

What operating system do you have on this pc? Then I can give details were to check.

The reason to using DHCP (Auto assigned IP address to PC) - as both the solwise and the dlink provided IP address to the PCs on there LAN ports. As you will be switching between the two when setting up, just will save time. If the IP address on PC and the router that you are connect are no on the same Subnet - you will not be able to see the router.

Phil