cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solwise ADSL Router & No-NAT

N/A

I have tired in vain to get my Apache server running on Linux visible on my public IP address from my No-NAT account..

I have followed the guide here http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=264 to the letter.

I can seem my Apache server on the local address but not he public one, so I know all it is working..

I did note the following caveat at the end of the page.

Notes:
Whilst this No-NAT configuration should work for most purposes, some people may experience problems with applications that embed the local IP in the data packets (some games for example). No guarantee can be made for this setup guide to cover all situations.

Does anyone know if this applies to a Linux (Red Hat 9.0) operating system ?

Thanks,
Kim
13 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

If you are trying to access the url on teh public IP from within the network, it most likely will not work. As I use that exact method for my Linux Webserver, I would imagine it should work. Did you remember to commit and reboot the router first?
Community Veteran

I can see a webserver on luaga.plus.com

If I try it in a broswer I get a login box appear to login to 'viking'

How are you trying to access it?
csogilvie
Grafter

Thats the router admin console at a guess.
Community Veteran

In which case it is getting in the way (the router is accepting the port 80 connection attempts and not forwarding it to the internal web server) and needs to be moved to another port say 8080.
N/A

This is a account with a block of 4 IP's, so your browser is displaying the first page it gets access to.

It apears this Viking login is the second IP address of the 2 available for use, the first one does not respond to connections for pings.
N/A

I was trying as per the instructions to make the web server available on the third IP address of the block.. My IP range is *.*.*.12 - *.*.*.15 The tutorial suggests that if I should be able to make the server available in *.*.*.14

Cheers,
Kim
N/A

That is correct.

0.0.0.12 and .15 are reserved for subnetting purposes.

0.0.0.13 and .14 are assignable.

Most routers require that they be assigned one of these addresses, thus making only one of these IP addresses any use internaly.

In your setup, based on the fact that your router is answering to queires on 0.0.0.14, sugest that this has not been setup correctly.
N/A

I don't think my router is answering to queries on .14 only the .13 address which is the router adress
N/A

When you login to the router, does it say "viking" on the login screen?

If so, then your router is very much answer queries on .14 and ignoring .13
csogilvie
Grafter

There is nothing answering HTTP requests on 14 here...
N/A

I have done a commit and reboot. I even confirmed this by powering the router off and then checking the Services --> NAT Rule Entry --> details to confirm the correct mapping as BIMAP / eth-0 / 192.168.7.4 / 192.168.7.4 / *.*.*.14 / *.*.*.14

Colin You said you have the same configuration working. Did you have to change any config on the Linux box ?
csogilvie
Grafter

Nope - as long as the linux box has the correct IP, it all seems to work fine.
N/A

Colin - I still have not got this working and am grasping at straws. What is the firmware version of your router ?