cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So how fast will I be able to go.

N/A

The proposed upgraded should allow me to connect at 4MBit.

My router shows the following stats:

US Margin 26
DS Margin 24
DS Line Attenuation 48
US Line Attenuation 62
9 REPLIES
N/A

And a bit more if the line checkers are correct so I would hope that 4megs would be stable.
Cheers
Jon
N/A

My router stats are:

DS Attenuation 46 dB
US Attenuation 14 dB

DS Margin 23 dB
US MArgin 28 dB

Is there likely to be any problem with, say, 3.5Mb/s that I am supposed to able to get in my area?

I also note that the DS Margin falls to 19dB when the phone is in use, and even down to 11dN if two handsets are being used. Is this reasonable, or should I consider upgrading my filters? (Yes! I do have a filter on every socket.)

Thanks for any advice on this

Neville
N/A

I applied for the Max upgrade recently and have run the BT speedtest 4 times with an average of 877kbps at varying times day and night. Any idea of what speed I can expect?
Also what is MTU and how do you tweak it, if necessary?
Thanks
John
N/A

I gave up and down graded. My Max connection just wasn't stable and at the times I wanted to use it I actually found that contention was limiting me to under 1Mbit anyway !!
N/A

Steve that wasn't the answer I wanted really. Wink
But thanks anyway. Can someone give me a reason to be optimistic about this change?
Cheers
John
N/A

I connect consistantly at 7616000 and have found the connection to be extremely stable - current uptime is showing at over 53 hours. However, performance is very disappointing, I seldom see download speeds as high as 2meg, and indeed right now I am downloading a Ubuntu linux dist at just 640kbs,

That said, for me however, the increased upload speed was a higher priority than the download.
N/A

and indeed right now I am downloading a Ubuntu linux dist at just 640kbs,

That said, for me however, the increased upload speed was a higher priority than the download.

The fact that on average my download speeds when I wanted them were no more than I could get on my 1Mbit line and the stability was pretty bad was why I down graded.

Yes the increased upload was something I wanted but there's no point in having it if the line is flaky.

Currently on 90 hours at 1Mbit with not one single error - I was lucky if I lasted 10 hours on Max without at least one error and a hundred or so sync losses.
N/A

Steve,
I know you have downgrade now but I just noticed you line attenuation stats. They are very high and it appears that your upstram is very much higher than your down. While I am not an engineer, the stats that I have seen here and in other places would make me suspicious about your stats and think there is a fault. While your down att is 48 ( mine was 40 ) your up is 68 ( mine was 20 ) and if you look at the many stats from people in the forums, their up line att is roughly half that of the down line att ( not exact I know but you get the idea ). So I am thinking if you US has a problem then your DS may also.
Bear in mind I am guessing here but it looks strange to me.

In addition having had problems with my own internal wiring at the beginning, I have sorted this and replaced my NTE faceplate, removed the orange ring wire and moved my router to beside the wall socket. I also changed my router for a speedtouch 546 which has a reputation for working on noisy lines. The result is my line attentuation is reporting as 35 DS and 17.5 US, SNR is roughly the same at 7.5 ( which is poorish but is working ok). Since changing the router I am now syncing at over 8000 where as before I ws syncing at over 7000. The router has been stable so far and although I have had some errors, nowhere near as many as before and the line hasn't dropped once.

I know how you feel and I agree a stable line of some sort is beter than a fast one that drops all the time. At the beginning I had similar thoughts of down gradeing but I am a lot happier now. The adsl movie that the guys have provided here in the other forum I downloaded at 600k. That'll do me. Cheesy
N/A

Those stats it seems were lies by my router!!

A new router gives the following attenuation levels:
Downstream 48
Upstream 30

with SNRs of 28 and 30 (D/s and U/s)

As posted elsewhere the D/s SNR dropped to between 0-6 when running on Max. I never saw anything higher than 6 and it just wasn't any good.