cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So far so good with Sky

N/A

So far so good with Sky

Folks might have seen some postings I made a few weeks ago about migrating to Sky.

Well, I hate to gloat but its now been done and I must say, the performance difference between Sky and PN is amazing. I have only had to reboot my router once (last night) as the connection was running slow - well, about usual PN standard for 10pm in an evening. But after re-booting, I was back to around 9 meg speed. And so its been ever since.

Before going on holidays in late Aug, I arranged with Sky to do the installation on 7th Sept. Sure enough, at 11.30 they arrived with my new router in hand (which looks exactly like the Netgear one I was using) and within 10 mins it was all done.

Using the phone on and off yesterday morning, I noticed that at some point my line went "dead". Apparently, this was when the switch was done - as my router eventually showed when I looked at connection status and saw I had download at 14,333 and upload at 700 or something like that.

The complete exercise was so co-ordinated : my line switched over at around 10.30 and the sky man arriving at 11.30.

A few letters arrived from Sky while I was away, one saying there were problems with my account and asking me to contact them. But when I did, they said that as they had not heard from me, they handed my case to their provisioning team who sorted out the problems themselves so they could continue to deliver my broadband on the day they committed to.

Now that's customer service, in my view.

Fair dues to PN - they did provide me with my MAC code within 48 hours of requesting it, which was impressive. I just hope I've followed the correct process to get my account actually cancelled so they don't continue billing me.

So now I'm on "up to 16 meg" with Sky costing only a tenner a month and it was such a smooth transfer process, to a very good quality service. (So far, anyway!)

Its a shame I had to move from PN but at half the price and with, I suspect, a much bigger customer support team who you can actually phone and speak with, it was a no brainer. I need the technical help when things go wrong as I work from home quite a bit.

I'm just glad I only went for a monthly contract with PN.
28 REPLIES
N/A

So far so good with Sky

Time will tell if this proves to be a worthwhile option. I hopes so as it sounds like good value.

I had nothing but good things to say about PN when I fisrt signed up. It was all in place quickly and my initial problems were sorted promptly.

12 months later and my first major problem (drop in speed to 130 kbps) has been virtually ignored by PN support. For me this is the true test of an ISP.

I'm paying for a service that is not being provided and nothings being done to sort it out.

Keep us posted with how Sky goes. Sounds good so far.

I recommended bethere.co.uk to my sister a while back and she's had amazing service so far (18 mb speed at it's peak so far) and support staff you can speak to.
N/A

So far so good with Sky

I'm very happy to hear that you are pleased with the SkyBB service so far as I just signed up with them today and given PN my 30 day cancellation notice and MAC request.
N/A

hi

i was supposed to go to sky today but it didnt happen ,guy came with netgear router asked to see my letters [user name etc and then uttered the dreaded "weres the sky broadband start date" so i tel him its ok mac been given everythings hunky dee one phone call later not hunky dee indeed hunky not dee ,turns out bt wholesale refused request as my llu mac was not accepted
i was surprised as i aint on a tiscalli llu so phone sky tell them whats happened [got the will put it to sky provisions ] 1/2 hour later john from sky phones ,apologises for my wasted afternoon [took it off for sky engineer] has re sent my mac and got it confirmed with bt so i go live with sky next week .
my point is with plus it would have been try this,try that , its bt fault etc but sky just used a bit of common sense and sorted it out [also got first 2 months free for the inconvience i was put to and now have a netgear router going free as sky engineer left it [and sky have reordered another visit and a new router
N/A

So far so good with Sky

I'm also moving to SKY, basically because it is cheaper than Plusnet but also due to problems I have had since being moved onto LLU. To be fair to Plusnet though I should point out that my download and upload speeds are usually very good, being typically 5700 kbps and 500 kbps. Unfortunately there have been a couple of outages as well as numerous disconnections and email problems. Dissatisfied with LLU via Tiscali I requested Plusnet to put me back on BT IPstream at no charge to myself but this was refused. Faced with this intransigence from Plusnet and ongoing problems with LLU how could I possibly not move to SKY as I have SKY TV anyway!

My first ISP was Compuserve in 1995 who charged in US dollars by the minute, and charged extra for accessing the internet rather than their own forums and had additional charges to use their telecoms suppliers Energis and Mercury. The charges where complicated to keep track of and very costly.

Then along came Demon internet with their £11.95 monthly membership charge and 1p per minute (evenings and weekends) dial up access. I joined Demon because it was far cheaper than Compuserve and Demon served me very well for a few years.

Then in 2000 came Plusnet who originally charged £5.99 for exactly the same service as Demon. So I joined Plusnet and over the years since then their prices have risen, 2MB broadband arrived, the binary usenet server was (irritatingly) taken out of service, then 8MB broadband arrived and I was impressed. At that point everything was great and was about to get even better with the suggested improvement that LLU should bring. Well for me, although access speeds have increased with LLU, the overall reliability of my internet access has reduced.

There is a pattern here that every few years a new ISP comes along who provides improved internet access at reduced cost. For me the new ISP to move to now is SKY.

But I do wonder if Plusnet will survive as an ISP, perhaps it be absorbed into Tiscali. Demon internet has survived but Compuserve hasn't.
N/A

So far so good with Sky

Update on my Sky performance: This is what I got a few mins ago.

Speed Test Results
Downstream 9,609.4 Kbps ( = 9.4 Mbps )
Upstream 640.7 Kbps ( = 0.6 Mbps )

So far so good - fingers crossed. Since going live Thursday at midday, I haven't had a single dropped connection, either.

Daverave - I agree with you. There can be all sorts of reasons for why the technology might not work as expected (ISP, BT, local line, etc) so it might not always be an ISP's "problem" to solve.

But its quite clear to see the difference in customer service between PN and Sky - with Sky I never fail to speak to a customer support person, and they seem quite knowledgeable about technical stuff.

And I was also, like you, impressed with how, when faced with a problem, Sky didn't try and put the onus on ME to do the diagnostics. When they didn't hear back from me, they didn't put my order in a pending tray but got on and sorted it out for me.

True customer service.
N/A

So far so good with Sky

funnelweb, how do those speeds compare to what you had with PN? My reason for asking is that i have never had a stable rate higher that 1500kbs and a synch rate of just under 2000kbs. I've always been told that this is due to my distance from the exchange but I never ben entirely convinced about that.
N/A

So far so good with Sky

paradz - when with PN, my speeds were at best around 4.5 meg download and around 300 kbps upload. (This info from tests I regularly ran on the ADSLGuide.org site, which is where the info I gave earlier came from.)

I know for certain that I never got anywhere near the 8 meg download service that I paid for with PN. But now I get above that.

I'm not very technical in all this stuff, but just looking at the details in my sky router admin screen, it shows the following:

DownStream Connection Speed 15323 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 766 kbps

In my old router, it only ever showed at best around 6 meg download, from memory.

I don't understand the reasons for the difference between the figures shown in my router and those in the ADSLguide test results. But I know that both figures are much better now I am with Sky.

So seems my line or distance from the exchange (in London, only 1.3 km from it) are not problems?Huh
N/A

So far so good with Sky

WOW, I think I may go with SKY. Looks really good.
I'll just have to say bye bye to the £40 odd I will lose for moving from PN(As I migrated, I have to stay with PN for 5 years or lose the money). But it doesnt bother me too much.
Just be REALLLY glad to get more reliable speeds, and good customer service, as it appears you do ^.
Shame really, PN were good when I joined, but since, they have just ostracised and fobbed me off (And other I guess) for too long now.
zebo-the-fat
Grafter

So far so good with Sky

Sounds good, but I have not seen any info on sky's FUP. Does anyone know what their limits are?
zebo-the-fat
Grafter

So far so good with Sky

After a bit of digging I found this
http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/usage?contentid=187810

Sky do not give any figures about download limits, just that it should not be "excessive"

At the price it still looks very tempting, not that I have had any problems with Plusnet, I get 4-5 Mb/sec most of the time, but twice the speed at half the cost is a good deal! Cheesy
N/A

So far so good with Sky

Thanks for the info, Funnelweb. That's very encouraging news. There's hope yet Smiley
N/A

So far so good with Sky

Ahh Thats Sad Its Not Avablible In My Area Yet, I Phone 2 Months Ago. They Said They Dont When It Will Come to My Area ( North London *Next To Arsenal Stadium*).

Will Phone Again 2Day And See If Its Here Now!
zebo-the-fat
Grafter

So far so good with Sky

Does Sky give any webspace?
N/A

So far so good with Sky

sounds v tempting. i got the email the other day saying it was now available in my area.

funnelweb: which router do sky provide you wiht. you say its a netgear one but which model?

thanks in advance