cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SmoothWall?

N/A

SmoothWall?

Hi,
I'm considering using an old PC as a Firewall. Is anyone out there successfully using SmoothWall the linux based Firewall on a home network (512) set up?

Cheers,
Shaun
5 REPLIES
N/A

SmoothWall?

hello, i've been using it for about 2-3 months now with out any major problems, but i would say you need some knowlage with networking (although it depends on your setup). also if you do have any problems subscribe to the smoothwall mailing list which can get you out of a sticky situation Wink but i would setup a new mail box for it as you can get a lot of emails in a short amount of time (over 400 in 2 months here :shockSmiley

johnathan
N/A

SmoothWall?

Hi Jonothan,
Many thanks for the info. I'm fairly new to networking, etc. but luckily I have a "fairy god mother" mate that works in the IT Systems dept of where I work Cheesy and he's advising me on security.

Cheers,
Shaun
N/A

Smoothwall

Had smoothwall working for 13 months now as firewall to internal network of 7 computers - excellent. The technical networking knowledge that you'll need really depends on which network cards you'll use. Old ISA cards are a bit trickier to setup also its difficult if both your Red (external) and Green (Internal) network cards are identical make / model!

Could also try ipcop.org (break away group from smoothwall) - better if you want to set up VPN
Gavin
N/A

SmoothWall?

Hi Gavin,
Cheers for the info, I'll take a look at that site for VPN stuff. Was gonna set up the smoothwall box at the weekend but got hit with a rather large FLU virus of my own Wink they get you one way or another eh

Thanks,
Shaun
N/A

SmoothWall?

No smoothwall drivers available for the Binatone modem they are sending out --- REALLY annoying, I wanted to use smoothwall whcih is why I went with plusnet, it now turns out I cant, purely because they sent me a duff modem.