cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Charity Deployment - Which Routers/Firewalls/Switches?

N/A

I'd consider TightVNC for remote access/management.
5 REPLIES
Stef
Grafter

Ok,

So I am going to start rolling out broadband connections for some (very) small offices. Each office may have between 2 and 8 PC's.

Ideally I would like to roll-out the same kit to each office so that:-

1/ It can be remotely managed (by Me!)
2/ It provides future possibilities for VPN (for file sharing etc).

Now given the current 'Bunch' (Netgear + D-Link + Solwise + ?) what hardware would you suggest so that I could deploy the same kit everywhere?

10/100 Ethernet or 802.11b is fine (Actually 802.11b would be easier to implement - No wires!)

Cost is a consideration.

Ideas appreciated,

Thanks in advance, Stefan.

I would appreciate any experiences of using 802.11b in a 'shared office' where perhaps somebody is also using it on the floor below (A different company!)
N/A

Adsl modems / router

I've today installed the Netgear DG834 modem/4 port router. This was the easiest set up and configuration I have ecer come across. I'd recommend this to anyone. I bought this from MISCO, they too were very helpfull.
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I am assuming you do not have the budget for a decent appliance such as a Netscreen, PIX or Fortigate.

Have a look at the Draytek Vigor 2600. You get a lot of bang for your buck including PPTP and IPSec VPN protocols.

PPTP is not as secure as IPSec but is far easier to configure, particularly for end users. The client software is built into most versions of Windows and can be set up with a few mouse clicks. If your priority is low cost, low support and your data is not worth much to a hacker then it makes a pretty good remote access protocol.

IPSec between two identical routers is pretty straightforward. It is not too bad for multiple point to point links but you do need to understand IP routing. It gets real interesting when you start trying to connect in other models of router. But for instant insomnia just try setting up an IPSec remote access server! WinXP has an IPSec client but getting it to work is pretty complicated.

For a good reason to avoid Netgear have a look at
http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread.cfm/lev2/5/lev3/34/pid/463/qid/562178

D-Link are still D-Link, the support leaves a lot to be desired.
Have never used a Solwise so can not comment.

VNC is OK and TightVNC a little better, but by far my favourite remote desktop is the Terminal Server built into XP.

Regards
Matt
www.mssystems.co.uk
N/A

Re: Adsl modems / router

I've today installed the Netgear DG834 modem/4 port router. This was the easiest set up and configuration I have ecer come across. I'd recommend this to anyone. I bought this from MISCO, they too were very helpfull.

The Netgear DG834 can be bought from ShopInternet for about a fiver less than Misco (once you've added p&p and VAT Misco's price climbs).
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The DG834 supports VPN passthrough (well sort of). But will not terminate a VPN. Given the requirement is for future VPN links between multiple sites neglecting VPN termination at the gateway would be a mistake (IMVHO).

I have nothing particularly against Netgear, we use quite a lot of their stuff. For a simple requirement which is unlikely to require support Netgear are fine. VPN routers though, I think not.

The thing with the branded routers at the cheaper end is that you can usually find something with equivalent features much cheaper. Many of these devices use the same chipset with a different WebUI. Have a look at this
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-ADSLR4
which does everything the DG834 does.

The Draytek may look pants and lack the eye candy interface but to get a similar feature set anywhere else you have to spend three times the money. Hence it stands out.

Once your into the 300+ range the choice opens up and so does the differentiation. We just started playing with a Netscreen 5 and it's the mutts nuts. Sonicwall, Cisco et al lookout.

Just my 5Ps worth

Regards
Matt
www.mssystems.co.uk