cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow transfer speeds

N/A

Slow transfer speeds

Note: I have submitted a ticket regarding this.

Is it me, or are speeds slow of a nicht?

I understand the whole "More people use the net at night" thing, and how this can eaffect the results, but I need the genral Plus.Net comuinities opinion.

Can you all do the deed, of downloading a copy, of gamespy arcade, direct from there servers? If so, do it once at night, and once in the morning.

What sort of speeds did you get?

I find, that everything is normal of a morning, but at night, I wish I had connected a modem up.

I don't beleive in the adlsguide.org.uk speed tester, nor any other tester, as these only tests speeds, between you and there server. Thus slows results could lie, due to slow links, and fast results could lie due to other servers being the cause.

However, saying that, I decided to perform some tests, to see what I am getting, when I see these terrable data transfers.

In the evening, I get slower uploads that a 32KB modem, and the download speed, even worse. As I said, I don't trust this.

In the morning, I get near normal sppeds, and a few checks prove, that links can vary fro minute to minute.

The one thing I do find, is that I can use multiplayer games, without issue, plus, I can download items from the file vault, and batch FTP archive, at absolute full speed. This can be done, pretty much all day, every day.

While I do not hog bandwidth, like many user do with there file sharing, I do occasionaly, download large files (EG redhat Cool. From this, I expect to have pretty fast speeds, on demand.

But this, is not currently possible, witht eh dreaful speeds I am getting.

This thread, is mainly to ask, is any1 experiencing simalar issue to myself?

If I where to get 10KB/s on transfers, I would be happy, but when you download 4.5MB files (like gamespy arcade) at a stupid rate of between 1.5 and 4 KB/s, forget it.
8 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

RE: Slow transfer speeds

If you can play multiplayer games and download from the file vault it is more likely to be a problem with the GameSpy servers. Don't forget that while it's night time here, it's peak hours for Americans using the GameSpy.
fonejacker
Grafter

Hi,

This posting was made by our NOC on Friday. Could you have a read and mail Merlin... This is an odd one!
---

Folks,

Over the past month we have seen an unnatural influx of support queries relating to slow connectivity, specifically upload speeds to external sites, while the upload speed to our own network appeared good at all times. The first reports arrived shortly before the installation of a new 155mb/s central pipe connecting our ADSL WAN block to the BT ATM network. We had hoped that this would solve the issue, and because of this we did not start investigating the problem immediately. However, the same issue has continued to be reported. We are now investigating this, and so far have found nothing obvious on our network which would be causing a problem.

The network team have already called a number of the customers who have reported problems, and we will be continuing this today. We are also liasing with BT and our upstream bandwidth providers. We have also tested connectivity from our dial up test facilities, using the accounts of some of the customers who have reported this, and have found no problem here.

The major difficulty here is that we cannot identify any pattern to the occurance of the issue. Some ADSL subscribers see poor performance, while others using the same package, on the same pipe and in the same geographic location see outstanding connectivity. The poor connectivity is seen crossing transit links to carrier ISPs, networks that we peer with directly across LINX and networks that we have private peering partnerships with. In spite of this, another person may see full speeds with minimal latency at exactly the same times to exactly the same places. The issue is being worked on, but we will need your help.

Those of you who are willing to help participate in our efforts to see a quick resolution to this problem, please send me your usernames and any information you are seeing that may help us, I will try and call and go through a few tests with those that are willing. Please email me at mgillespie@plus.net.uk

Depending upon response to this post, and others elsewhere, I cannot promise to call everyone, but I will try. Do not think that we are taking a lackadaisical attitude towards this problem, it is top priority, and anything that can be done to diagnose and resolve this, shall taken seriously.

Regards,

--
Merlin Gillespie..............................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
Senior Network Engineer..........................for Home & Business
PlusNet Technologies Ltd...........................http://www.plus.net

---

Cheers,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

> Note: I have submitted a ticket regarding this.
>
> Is it me, or are speeds slow of a nicht?
>
> I understand the whole "More people use the net at night" thing, and how this can eaffect the results, but I need the genral Plus.Net comuinities opinion.
>
> Can you all do the deed, of downloading a copy, of gamespy arcade, direct from there servers? If so, do it once at night, and once in the morning.
>
> What sort of speeds did you get?
>
> I find, that everything is normal of a morning, but at night, I wish I had connected a modem up.
>
> I don't beleive in the adlsguide.org.uk speed tester, nor any other tester, as these only tests speeds, between you and there server. Thus slows results could lie, due to slow links, and fast results could lie due to other servers being the cause.
>
> However, saying that, I decided to perform some tests, to see what I am getting, when I see these terrable data transfers.
>
> In the evening, I get slower uploads that a 32KB modem, and the download speed, even worse. As I said, I don't trust this.
>
> In the morning, I get near normal sppeds, and a few checks prove, that links can vary fro minute to minute.
>
> The one thing I do find, is that I can use multiplayer games, without issue, plus, I can download items from the file vault, and batch FTP archive, at absolute full speed. This can be done, pretty much all day, every day.
>
> While I do not hog bandwidth, like many user do with there file sharing, I do occasionaly, download large files (EG redhat Cool. From this, I expect to have pretty fast speeds, on demand.
>
> But this, is not currently possible, witht eh dreaful speeds I am getting.
>
> This thread, is mainly to ask, is any1 experiencing simalar issue to myself?
>
> If I where to get 10KB/s on transfers, I would be happy, but when you download 4.5MB files (like gamespy arcade) at a stupid rate of between 1.5 and 4 KB/s, forget it.

Hi Philip,
I am in EXACTLY the same position as you are. My upload and download speeds are no better than a modem right now, except at 8:30 to 10am today (20.10.02) where i received full speed. At around 11:30 things declined rapidly and now a 28.8kbps modem would be quicker. For a BROADBAND service it is shocking. Im paying for an always on, FAST connection which i am not currently receiving. Plusnet if your listening this BETTER be sorted out soon or i WILL be cancelling and will go to an ISP who can provide a service.

Anything to add Plusnet

William Allan
N/A

If you need any help from me Ian just give me a shout or if you want to use my account for testing as I have been getting the problem regular over the last 2-3 weeks around about them same time every night ie about 5pm to 9pm

Only noticed because i run a gameserver and everyone started complaining about the extreme lag had the players check their conns and they were all fine i then checked mine and found this 7 - 15kbps upstream problem although downstream was 450kbps so thats fine, tested with ftp.plus.net and it was fine in both directions.

As i say it only started over the last few weeks up until then it was flying both directions.

Its happening right now as i post this at 19:12, so basically it seems to be at peak times.
Ive ran traceroutes but have been unable to identify where the problem is, on one occasion jalpiazza had 10% packet loss but was fine the next time the problem occurred its all very odd.

Ali

N/A

mine are just the same around 5k - 25kdownload but very unstable, but uploading forget it.
N/A

My connection was fine untill we had that dns problem the other weekend there, since then it has been getting worse and worse.Cry
N/A

I am very glad that it isn't just me in the broken boat.

I comendate Plus.Net for there attitude towards this post. I have found support extremly helpful when it comes to issues, and they have gone out of the way, to work with a customer, when I have admitadly said the problem is likely with hardware on my end, and keep tickets open.

I would be more than willing to work with Plus.Net, using my account, to test and get things working. There is one issue though, I work throughout the day, and can't do any tests yet.

I will, however (once the damned KMV switch arrives) have access to a system on the DSL line, through which, I can initiate remote tests.

I have not, as of yet, performed any trace routes, or made any tests to other sites (as such). Most of my observations, have been through the regular sites I visit.

Once I get the linux box online, I will be setting up, a small suite of tests, to be performed on a cron job. These will include traceroutes, downloads, pings and upload tests, run every 30 mins. This is not somthing I am doing for the sole purpose of Plus.Net. I will be developing it for a production system as well, so it will not be in waste.

If I where to get the speeds I get from the file-vault, on every connection, then I would worry, and start thinking am I the only bugger alive. But when you upload speeds are better than your download, but worse than a modem, you know it's time to worry more.

Don't put Plus.Net down over this. They have come out with a hands behind their head reply, regarding this issue.

A details discription of my observations and timeframes are being forwarded via e-mail.
N/A

Yeah, I've certainly noticed this effect over the last couple of weeks.

Prior to the installation of the new pipe I was getting excellent browsing and downloading / uploading speeds. Since a couple of days after the new pipe went in I have noticed a very definate drop in speeds during the evening (sometimes only able to download at 5K/sec and less). Daytime and early hours the speeds seem fine and I am nearly always able to download from the file vault at 55+K/sec.

I would be happy to help in any way that I can in assisting you to solve this issue