cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow surfing speed when running P2P apps...

N/A

I’m wondering whether anyone can help me out?

I’ve got the 2Mb Premier account up and running (although it’s only connecting @ 1Mb ATM (just waiting for BT)). Anywho, I’ve set up my P2P clients (Bearshare & BitComet), and the only things I’ve set up in the router are static IP’s, and Firewall rules for the P2P software (ie, opening TCP ports).

The problem is, say I’ve got Bearshare running, with x1 download (@ around 10kb/s), if I then try and surf it slows down to 56k speeds (even if Bearshare isn’t downloading anything, surfing is still really slow).
Now, I would have thought that there’d still be at least another 100kb/s ‘spare’ bandwidth for surfing…

Now, I don’t think it’s anything to do with my computer (if I’m running Bearshare, and my housemate tries to surf, the same thing happens (ie, it’s stupidly slow on his PC)). I’m wondering whether there’s something else I need to set up in the router? (I think I read somewhere that P2P apps send/receive shed-loads of packets per second – this anything to do with it?)
I’ve had a real quick search, and found that this is happening to loads of people (using different ISP’s with varying connection speeds) so it’s obviously nothing to do with PN…

Do I need to open ports for HTTP, FTP etc?

Can anyone offer any guidance?
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hmmm, well I've just changed my BitComet upload speed from 'unlimited' to '20kb/s' and all seems ok now...(why does the upload speed affect the download speed?)

Still having the same problem with Bearshare though.
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

When you download data, your computer has to upload a small amount of data to acknowledge that it has the data. This is so the sending end knows it isn't sending too much, too quick.

This upload is also used to request retransmits, at times such as data loss or when the system feels it has invalid data.

When you set your client to allow the maximum upload possible, it may find it hard to send out this confirmation data.

A value of between 20KB/s and 25KB/s is more than enough.

The same applies in reverse, that when you want to upload something, saturating the download will slow the upload.

Although not as important, you might want to set a maximum download a few KB below your connection speed.

Kind Regards,
N/A

Thanks for explaining...

I'll have a mess around and see if I can get it sorted.

Thanks again.
N/A

Are you running XP with SP2? Have you checked the event log for Event ID 4226. SP2 doesnt let you have many tcip connection going for security and as such this may cause your problems and you may see the error in the event log.

The fix is on http://www.janwright.co.uk/ tcip.zip
N/A

Not using SP2 (can't stand it)...although I have already tried a tcip patch (which aborted because I don't need it).

Smiley
N/A

Are you running XP with SP2? Have you checked the event log for Event ID 4226. SP2 doesnt let you have many tcip connection going for security and as such this may cause your problems and you may see the error in the event log.

The fix is on http://www.janwright.co.uk/ tcip.zip

Sorry but your wrong in saying SP2 will not allow many connections
as default SP2 can have almost unlimited connections

Event ID 4226 will not affect p2p because half open sockets (which id4226 represents) will not slow or speed up p2p. The default 10 is low but sufficient. After you have made your full connection any decent p2p client will request or re request missing peers. If 10 peers dont reply in time going for closer/faster peers first is better. Let the slow peers connect later imo.

Follow the third post and limit all p2p upload this will allow normal ip traffic to complete. I generally limit all p2p software to a 22kbps upload.