cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds sorted!

zebo-the-fat
Grafter

Slow speeds sorted!

I recently moved house and found my network speed was slightly lower than before ... no problem. Then the speed fell to around 30k/sec. I checked and found problems at the local exchange, due to be fixed in around 10 days. Two weeks later, still poor speeds, so I contacted P.N who told me to connect my router directly to the master socket and run the BT speedtest three times. I did this without any great expectation of an improvement. I found the speed was slightly better, but after two or three days it suddenly jumped to around 5M/sec! I am now getting regular speeds of between 4 and 5 M/sec.
I don't know if it was moving the router, BT fixing the exchange or PN changing things at their end, but I am not complaining!
2 REPLIES
donj53
Grafter

Slow speeds sorted!

Dont trust them.You'll get a week maybe two and it'll all start again.I'm back to dial-up speeds again surprise surprise.btw this time I've contacted watchdog.I suggest you do likewise.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Slow speeds sorted!

If problems inside you house were causing interference which was causing intermittent low syncs BT will have immediately set your IP Profile down. If you've stabilised the line by moving to the master socket and consistently synced at high speed BT move it back up after three days.

Running http://speedtester.bt.com/ will tell you your IP Profile speed and current sync. You need to keep an eye on the sync speed if it takes another dive to see if you can identify what causes it to drop.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)